1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outdated teaching technology

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Shedman, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/telly-trolleys-and-ohps-5-pieces-outdated-teacher-tech

The telly trolley, the overhead projector, the banda machine, chalkboard and roller board. So these bits of kit that those of us who started teaching in the 70s and 80s are only too familiar with are now considered obsolete.

OK, the telly trolley has pretty much had it's day but at least you can still display your OHP transparencies (lovingly crated in all different coloured permanent pens) if the school wi-fi goes down and you can't access that all singing, all dancing power point.

The banda machine was pretty primitive but it was fairly simple, if a little messy, and never broke down unlike modern photocopiers. It was also considerably cheaper to run. With school reprographics budgets being slashed these, as I have predicted on other forums, may well be coming back in an updated reincarnation.

As for chalk and roller boards, well, don't teachers still use their modern equivalents - the white board and marker pens? I remember about 5 years ago my old school was refitted with brand spanking new interactive whiteboards during the summer hols. The only trouble was that when we turned up after the summer break, no training or instruction was given on how to use them so when I left last Whitsun, the majority of staff still only used them to log into SIMS, take a register and then off they went and out came the whiteboard pens. At about £3000 per interactive display, these must have been the most expensive whiteboards ever.

Let's not write off all this seemingly outdated technology too soon.

hammie, agathamorse and Mrsmumbles like this.
  2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

To add to your list .... film loop projectors; filmstrips; geography stencils/rubber stamps with maps.....

agathamorse, Shedman and FrankWolley like this.
  3. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

agathamorse, Shedman and ridleyrumpus like this.
  4. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

lanternslide.jpg shackleton.jpg
    Shackleton expedition on a magic lantern slide projector.

mothorchid, agathamorse and Shedman like this.
  5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Simplicity itself and the internet is full of relevant instruction should anyone have the motivation or curiosity to look.

Stiltskin and agathamorse like this.
  6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I remember when OHPs were the new technology. Only problem was that with dimmed classroom lights, some of my students fell asleep. ------ Absolutely nothing to do with my teaching, I quickly add!!

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I never liked OHP's and hardly ever used them.

There was a great satisfaction to be had using a Banda machine, especially if you had a brand new ink sheet to make the master from. Carefully writing it out, knowing there was nowhere for mistakes to hide, taking it to the machine itself and inserting it carefully, the trial run and then happily turning the handle and watching all your copies come out. Word-processing a master and giving it in to be photocopied just didn't have the same connection and tactility.

Roller boards were great, I had one with a white panel to use with a projector. The best part was you wrote on it and moved it up so everyone could see clearly and you weren't in the way as you were writing the next thing. Fixed whiteboards and projector screens always had kids bobbing about and from side to side to see the board properly.

Chalk was ok but messy, I prefer chalk boards to look at and whiteboards to write on.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

Text books.

slstrong123 and agathamorse like this.
  9. aypi

aypi Established commenter

Our school has interactive white boards. They are all set at the manufacturers height. They start off too low for all the pupils to see and they can be moved lower.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Not quite Ed Tech but the school I attended had a class set of these. We had 3 lesson session on these and then they were put away, never to be seen again.
    [​IMG]

I remember our first television experience at primary school. The school had just bought one of those huge televisions on stands that were made just for schools. It stood about six foot high and the doors of the cabinet folded out to produce a shade against the light. We were all brought down to the Hall and were sat on the floor whilst several of the teachers (and the Head) milled about the set trying to get it to work. There was much shuffling about with the aerial (it was an old 405 set) and other manipulations. In the end it was a bust and we were sent back to class. I never watched television in school again.

How times change.

agathamorse and Mrsmumbles like this.
  11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

One of my earliest jobs after leaving school was as a lab tech in a teacher training college. For a couple of hours a week I was lent to the Maths dept to keep their resources tidy. They had about 30 of those calculators. They didn't use them as electronic calculators were just making an appearance. I would mess about with the mechanical ones to see how they worked. I often wondered what a class full of these would sound like!

agathamorse likes this.
  12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I remember being ushered into the school hall to watch Sir Francis Chichester coming home and another time to watch a wimbledon final for some reason (I think the staff were tennis fans). I suppose it couldn't have been a final as it was a school day.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The big advantage of bandas was the soporific effect the alcohol soaked sheets had on the kids.

14. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I would love to know more about these educational forerunners! Is it true that teachers could get a bit high from inhaling Banda fumes?! I remember the locking tv and video trolley, shelled around between classrooms like an NHS bed and almost as heavy as one...

PGCE_tutor and agathamorse like this.
  15. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Haha! So it’s true! ;);):)

agathamorse likes this.
  16. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I know. They have bells which indicate when the accumulator passes zero. They also clunk and click and clack. Brilliant. Just what a Maths class needs.

At home we had a TV with an early form of remote control. It was attached to the TV by a 1/2" thick cable. It was brilliant, far better than any remote now. You pushed the button to change channel and got a very satisfying, "kerchunk,kerchunk,kerchunk from the TV as the electric motor changed the tuning switch. Old tech is sometimes cool.

strawbs, Mrsmumbles and agathamorse like this.
  17. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Virginia Wade winning Wimbledon?

If so we were shown it too on the "big screen" in the schools lecture theatre.

Womens finals used to be on Fridays and men's Saturday. Wimbledon did not play on Sundays.

The past is a different country.

hammie and agathamorse like this.
  18. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We had "the big tele" set up in a small room and had to file down there to watch the programmes at the time they were broadcast. "Words and Pictures " was my favourite, and "Watch".

19. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

On the subject of those big Tvs for primary schools, does anybody remember counting down the dots before the programme in question was about to begin - How we Used to Live, Picture Box, etc etc?

hammie, Norsemaid, Stiltskin and 3 others like this.
  20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Bless you!! This would have been the mid 60's

agathamorse likes this.