1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outdated Marking Strategies

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by BoldAsBrass, Nov 27, 2018.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I would be getting them to do NO work in books!

None.

That's how I'd cope with it.

lardylegs likes this.
  2. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

At ks3 it’s not marked because they don’t do it.

In music written work is still expected in some schools even if its practical. I teach the whole school so this is a logistical nightmare.

Verbal feedback works better but many schools don’t allow that.

ViolaClef and agathamorse like this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

Brilliant, isn't it!!!

Also:
    butter makes much nicer biscuits but we don't allow that
    traffic-calming measures reduce accidents but we don't allow that
    turning the heating down by a single degree cuts our energy bill but we don't allow that

4. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

It is incorrect to think that marking maths is a binary process.

5. ridleyrumpus

Even worse when they know that all that pointless work is damaging their health and robbing them of a normal life.

agathamorse and grumpydogwoman like this.
  6. ridleyrumpus

Anything else maybe a waste of time but doing what you suggest would in many schools result in a "support plan" PDQ, sadly.

lardylegs likes this.
  7. ridleyrumpus

[​IMG]

bevdex and agathamorse like this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

OK, OK. I wouldn't even be working there as I'd have laughed in their faces and told them to take a hike. But why is everyone who thinks "my" way not speaking out at a staff meeting and telling the fools that this is not an effective use of time???!!!

WHY?

They can't sack all of you!

BTBAM, lardylegs and agathamorse like this.
  9. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

In an increasing amount it would be considered that right way to do thing. It’s all about local leadership decisions...

lardylegs and agathamorse like this.
  10. cathr

cathr New commenter

11. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Lead commenter

Evidence of verbal feedback is demanded; not only that it was given but its contents, and the student's reaction to it. Evidence; always evidence!

lardylegs likes this.
  12. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Yes, once upon a time, ‘Well done!’ or some such comment was perfectly acceptable- and depending on the context, I think it still should be. Now we make sure we include the things we are told we should - questions, next steps etc. It takes a lot of time. Verbal feedback and discussion are the best ways. We shouldn’t have to record those in writing, but we do to cover our backs. There are many, many issues we might like to speak out on, but it depends upon the school, the management and the circumstances. Staying under the radar and appearing compliant can make for a smoother ride in already choppy waters.
    Even the colour of the pen used for marking has become a hot potato!

lardylegs likes this.
  13. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

my marking:
    Maths EBI: get more right
    Maths "how to move onto next grade": get more right
    SLT to Maths teacher: "but how do you check they understand it?" Maths teacher: "They get it right"

geordiepetal and grumpydogwoman like this.
  14. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Ah, just like the old days! When we managed to turn out today's doctors, vets, managers, counsellors and generally well rounded individuals. I swear to god I dreamt last night that I was sent on a support course to improve my marking!

15. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter

I looked back on my Higher History essay book from 1990/91. My teacher had marked it with simply "A" or "B" (to be fair, mostly B.) Yet I had no idea what was different between my essay and my pal's who got an A, until we compared it and figured it out ourselves. Now I very much doubt that most kids will actually do this - they'll simply bumble along and not actually be pushed.

There's a lot of BS in education (different coloured pens / not using red) and the amount of marking in primaries is the biggest waste of time ever, but I just don't think giving feedback, written or verbal, is one of them.

Catgirl1964 and TEA2111 like this.
  16. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

My 'new' school don't allow teaches to give feedback marking (primary)...very frustrating when I know that some feedback would make a big difference to the child. I can still see in my memory my teacher's handwriting when I was 11, a comment she made to my work which has stuck with me 40 years later....given verbally would not have had the same impact all these years later. As a parent when I go to parents' evening and look at my children's books, I like to read the comments the teacher has made in response to their work.

17. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Occasional commenter

Bet they love you!

Feedback I write: 'Well done!' 'Good' 'Excellent' ':)' 'Not enough work completed, detention!'
    That has served me well and garnered great results. I also throw in the odd: 'see me at the end of the lesson'

If I'm forced into a WWW and EBI situation I have set comments that cover all possibilities, because despite the hype kids are predictable and make the same mistakes time and again.

18. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

Nope...this school hate me!:rolleyes:. Excuse my ignorance but what does WWW and EBI stand for?

19. grumpydogwoman

what went/worked well
    even better if

Or - pat them on the back and then give them a knock-back.

20. BoldAsBrass

BoldAsBrass New commenter

Some very considered replies - thanks everyone

To pick up on one point - speaking out is all well and good when done as a collective but when you go it alone - you single yourself out. Been there, done that, still removing the knives from my back ......it is a hard balance but today blinkered, ill informed or lack of experienced SLTs are making the minions jobs way more difficult than they need to be by insisting on what boils down to 'nonsense'

I backtracked down the management ladder a while ago, as I didn't want to be forced into making teachers jobs into a circus of hoop jumping tasks. I personally know Heads who have refused to jump on the latest bandwagon and were ousted from their roles by Trusts or LA's, as they tried to stick to their principles (viewed as militant) and stick to the basics, using well thought out, tried and tested methods of teaching and learning - to have their desks cleared and packed off without a second thought. This practice has filtered down the chain of command and everyone is expected to jump to the same tune, even though it's not always in the correct key!

It appears, even the advice of Ofsted, unions etc is falling on deaf ears in many setting - WHY?

What ever happened to worker being able to stand for their rights, question change and challenge ideas and new initiatives? Have we really descended into a profession of 'yes persons' (politically correct statement?)

Problems with marking strategies are just scratching the surface of the mess we are in, as a profession

We need to tackle
    1) Workload
    2) Working hours
    3) Working practices
    4) Ridiculous notion of performance related pay for teachers (except maybe for SLTs)

Have I missed anything obvious?

Right, better go finish my planning and resourcing for next week. LOL!

TEA2111 and agathamorse like this.