1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Outcome via letter = no feedback?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by missRV, Feb 6, 2016.

1. missRV

missRV Occasional commenter

I'm left feeling as though I've had a lucky escape.

I had an interview on Thursday (which I felt went generally well except that I disagreed respectfully to a very odd and controversial comment made by DHT)

Heard nothing Thursday night, so I sent an email Friday morning asking for feedback, got a reply straight away to say they were considering still and would be in touch Monday at the latest.

This morning, I got a letter (dated Thursday) saying the post had gone to someone else, I'm really not bothered as I couldn't see myself working there, but I would like feedback as it was my first interview in 5 years, Should I phone them? Or would you not bother?

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Feedback is seldom - if ever - useful. They aren't obliged to give any at all and in most cases they'll fob you off (I know, I was a headteacher!) with platitudes. You'll probably find you were "a close second" most people do.

missRV likes this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes indeed.

Most schools would much rather not give feedback, If you are lucky they may agree NOT to give feedback, but to give advice for my next application. That's easier to give than feedback on why they didn't want you. You could try asking for that. But they may refuse, of course.

I am interested to see the title of this thread, incidentally - it suggests that you think that you getting feedback via a phonecall is normal and to be expected. But as MM says, they are under no obligation to do so. So if they do, it can be platitudes or useless in some other way. As shown in this advice article:

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

I am sorry that you've had this disappointment - hope you have spent the evening either drinking wine or eating chocolate.

Or both!

Best wishes

missRV likes this.
  4. missRV

missRV Occasional commenter

As far as I am concerned it was a lucky escape, the school wasn't 'me' I had a debate with the deputy head when he said that private students are more entitled to an education than non paying students (his words) so I kind of knew at that point :)

I did think that feedback via telephone was the norm, it's always been the case previously, but I think I already know what they thought of me ;)

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter