1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

out of teaching and into industry

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by opelotis, Jan 4, 2016.

1. opelotis

opelotis New commenter

Dear discussers...

Please provide me with all the help and advise as possible. I really need it. I was a passionate teacher but i quit recently due to the insane work load a manager that felt screaming and shouting in the work place was acceptable and perfectly normal.

Since Sept 2015 i have been at home working part time jobs, at the pet store, youth work but nothing serious. I am now ready to get back into work and for the first time in my life i have no clue as to what i want to do. All i know is that i am good with people but i dont want to be exposed to the nut cases like my previous manager. I respect all of you that are still teachers and i will always fight for teachers but i cannot do it anymore.

Other than not believing in the system it self, i strongly believe that some 6th form colleges are setting students up to fail at university (i taught both sides).

Please help, i need advice on career options after teaching... i applied for so many jobs last year but the response was either poor, or my cv didnt have experience they are looking for.

I am not capable of fibbing so i find it hard to go out and bullsh*t my way through something when i know that i am telling porkies.

Where to after teaching...? is there life out there ? what are the ex teachers that didnt retire doing at the moment?

I have a Masters in Business by the way (i feel so helpless )

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm sorry that your life in teaching was so unpleasant I hope that your term out of school has allowed you to get back to a more serene lifestyle.

What to do next?

Try reading this:

Possible other careers

And also contact the National Careers Service

I hope that you can get some good ideas for your future with either of these.

Best wishes for 2016

3. Busstopjen

Busstopjen New commenter

Hi Opelotis.
    How about a career in PMO/Project management? that's fit perfectly with your degree and there are lots of transferable skills.
    They're always advertising and the career prospects are good :)

4. fourleafclover

fourleafclover New commenter

I have the same problem. I want to leave but I am terrified about what I'd do if I did. I have no other qualifications outside of teaching. I am a huge animal fan and would love to work with them but it often means retraining and I can't afford to be out of work.
    Hope you manage to find something, I would be interested in hearing how you get on.

5. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I worked in recruitment before entering teaching. A few points. I suppose many are obvious.

1) You need to know the local jobs market, or national if you can move
    2) You need to know your skills and how they relate to the jobs market
    3) You have to be aware of what you need to earn
    4) You need to be open minded on the sort of position. As soon as you talked about working with animals i thought 'totally unrealistic' few openings, certainly without training.