1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Out of school activities

Discussion in 'Personal' started by PeakyBlinder, Dec 4, 2015.

1. PeakyBlinder

PeakyBlinder New commenter

I have probably posted this in the wrong place but I was wondering whether teachers are actually obligated to attend out of school fairs & such like. I work part time in a large school & they had a fair in the evening. I did not find out it was the day of the fair until that morning so I didn't attend. The school is also a fair distance from my home. Is it wrong that I didn't attend?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Was it directed time and as you are part time does it fall in the hours expected of you?

3. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

I'd say not. If they can't be bothered to tell you why should you inconveneince yourself.

When I was young with on family commitments I did lots of extra curricullar stuff and went to all the fairs etc. However I cut back once I had family and as I approached retirement I point blank refused to go to anything at the weekend. Due a) to the distance I Iived from work &
    b) it didn't suit by life/work balance.
    However I did go to anything that happened in the evenings. I tended to either stay at work or nip into town for some shopping.

4. PeakyBlinder

PeakyBlinder New commenter

I'm not sure if it would be classed as directed time. It was 6pm - 8pm. I rely on public transport so going home & coming back would have been pointless.