1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Out of my depth?!

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by MsDaisyChain, May 23, 2012.

1. I have recently - well I say recently (after a maternity leave and a rough few months due to a family death I haven't been in school), I almost think I want out!!!

As a leader in school I must provide an agenda for every meeting I lead - our head never produces an agenda for slt!! As a class teacher I must provide a plan for my lessons - the head never plans for an assembly never mind. A talk with parents!!

I know that he is part of my problem at school - I feel if I am not lead how on earth can I lead??!! I am 29 and have been teaching for 7 years. I am passionate and try very hard to keep my team up beat and positive. It's all for the children. Everything we do.

So are there any slt members that feel the se way as me? I feel like I do som much of the ground work, I keep staff happy and boost moral as well as plan the agendas for meetings, monitor planning and teaching and implement anything that will help our children achieve more and higher!

Why do I feel the head only answers the phone? Answers emails? And expects me and other member of slt to run the slt meeting!!!!

2. Please excuse errors - I did try to correct but gave up!!

3. wlaverty

wlaverty New commenter

You are probablycorrect in a lot of what you say. Often Heads do not deliver what they promise rather they are kept in place by their SMT.

Remember junior staff will be looking to you for leadership if the Head can't give it and you will be a serious to loss to them. You might need to consider accepting the fact that you are the leader and begin to get the Head to implement strategies to improve/run the school in a way that reflects your desires for the school.

I have recently had children too and it is very important that you bring less work home and have a balanced family life. This will probably mean that you do less but remember you are not a slave to the school unless you make yourself one. Try to achieve a good work life balance and be ruthless at reducing your work commitments to only what you can do in work hours if you need to.

Good luck

EB

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I'm just wondering what your role/ title is.
    If you're SLT but there's a deputy - talk to the deputy about this.
    If you're the deputy you need to talk to the head.
    I was once deputy to a head who was a supreme delegator. He never took work home yet I was slaving away every night until midnight, holding down a vast number of roles in school and trying to lead staff whilst he was out "supporting" other schools.
    I spoke to the head and nothing happened so in the end I got my union involved. Things improved for a while but I could tell it wasn't going to get any better.
    I looked for another job and left for a second deputy headship. It couldn't have been more different. The head was excellent, thanked me for all the work I did, couldn't believe the sheer amount of work I could get through (and I never worked as hard as I had for my former boss) and rewarded me accordingly. I was also paid a heck of a lot more than I had been in my previous school.
    The upside of working for someone who delegates is you learn a lot. There are very few things that come my way now that I don't think I can handle, because nothing could be as bad as those dark days.
    I'd like to add that not all heads are like this one. In fact I only ever worked for one.
    Sometimes it may seem like heads are in their office all day but you'd be amazed at the sheer volume of paperwork expected in the role. Not to mention dealing with parents, children etc. Many heads do all this and teach. You may just have a bad apple, don't let it cloud your judgement.