1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Out of interest, why can't it be Christmas every day?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I don't know about you, but I've been taking advantage of Christmas bargains by stocking up the freezer and drinks cabinet, while all roasting joints are being sold at half their normal cost.

Today's shopping has sorted us out for the next few months of Sundays, and if we need to go shopping again and can make space in the freezer, might see us out in Sunday roasts until it looks like barbecue season is upon us again.

The question I am asking is why a roast dinner, a glass of wine or Port is significantly less expensive at this time of year, and what the problem is with making it less expensive all year long?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but I'm interested in what other have to say about it.

towncryer likes this.
  2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Because Christmas day is a public holiday and no-one would ever work, earn or pay taxes?

install and Photo51 like this.
  3. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Where are you shopping with all these bargains please?

towncryer likes this.
  4. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

...why can't it be Christmas every day?

Because there aren’t enough sprouts in the universe.

Because you’d have to spend every day with your extended family...shudder!

Because it would never be Boxing Day.

Because Noddy Holder would be so rich from royalties he would probably rule the world.

Because we’d never see snow again.

Bedlam3 and towncryer like this.
  5. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Not to worry it just means you can celebrate 364 un-Christmasses.:D

6. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Roy Wood not Noddy Holder.

Jamvic likes this.
  7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

You'd think they'd charge more for sherry and port at Christmas, since it's the only time a lot of people buy it.

£15 for a litre of spirits. if it were Christmas every day we'd run out of livers by Friday. I thought they were supposed to be bringing in some
    minimum-price per unit thing?

8. helenemdee

helenemdee Occasional commenter

Because even with bargains it would be too expensive to keep getting people presents and you'd soon run out of ideas of what to buy...

And most people would never go to work so would not earn any money, and would thereby bankrupt themselves by continually buying aforementioned presents!

9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

How much will Christmas cost us all next year? I was 20 when we entered the Common Market and I've been thinking back to the sort of things my parents would buy for Christmas.

There wasn't a fraction of what they offer the punters these days. I went in Asda the other day and fought with other shoppers to get my trolley past the display of Serano ham. There were millions of boxes of them, but I can't recall a single instance when I've ever eaten it in this country, let alone have it feature as part of the traditional British Christmas. Proper ham of course, but not that stuff which gets sliced by a microtome to make it too thin to retain any taste.

As we ventured our way further around the supermarket, I saw they had bleeding great packs of salami and goodness knows what, labeled as Continental Sliced Meats. I didn't have that sort of thing as a child and don't intend to start having now, but you know what? It doesn't bother me that my neighbours might. What's this leaving the EU all about? Do those who want to leave think our supermarkets are too big or something?

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Because some people would be f*****g miserable all year long

11. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

As if they aren't anyway!

12. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

Not a Brexiter myself...but I certainly won't suffer from a lack of Serrano ham! Neither will I miss the continental sliced meats!

13. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

But to reply to the original question...if it was Christmas every day we'd have to listen to the awful Christmas music every day...over and over again.We would all be driven mad by it. At least we know that it will stop round about the 26th.

sodalime and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  14. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Is it so terrible of me to confess that all the Christmas clutter in my house is doing my head in already.

EmanuelShadrack and towncryer like this.
  15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The shops would never be open

sodalime and towncryer like this.
  16. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Yes - it's why I haven't opened any Christmas cards yet - they get on my nerves. I think part of that is that I wouldn't have chosen them with their silly pictures and other people are now decorating my house! I enjoy reading them, don't get me wrong, but I quite enjoy seeing them go in the recycling.

towncryer likes this.
  17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Because I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day would become the national anthem. Hearing it on endless loop from mid November until late December is more than enough.

The other thing is the telly would be utter sh*te every day.

Not to mention that Santa is based in Lapland which is part of Europe. As 52% of voters have expressed their democratic desire not to remain under the yoke of unelected foreigners and their decidely un-British ways, we'd soon be into Chrexit and another two years of endless bloody bickering.

18. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

I was quite pleased with 30p bag of carrots and sprouts in Sainsbury this morning. I hate sprouts but the other 5 coming live them so there will be plenty.
    I don't eat meat so I don't really know how much it costs but I was quite shocked when Mr GW snuck in s ooacjet of sausages hich was £3. He's planning sausage butties for Christmas breakfast apparently.
    Every day?
    Nooooo, don't, just don't.

19. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

And what about those Christmas round robin letters written usually by smug people who wish to boast of their marvelous lives,successful children etc etc....you would receive an update every day!

freckle06 and Jamvic like this.
  20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

That's called Facebook - no change there surely? :)

Jamvic, sodalime and towncryer like this.