1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Out of Hours Reading

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by Purpleprint1, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Purpleprint1

Purpleprint1 New commenter

After teaching 20+ years full-time, I now only do 1-day-a-week on a supportive role.
    However, I've been asked to read a number of important documents - about 115 pages in total.
    I estimate they will take at least 2-3 hours to read thoroughly and to take in all the information.
    I feel reluctant to do this in my own time, as in my own time I'm running my own business.
    If I have to take time-out to read these documents, this will mean losing income-producing time in my business.
    Obviously, I don't want to do this.
    I have requested that if the school want to pay me to come into school, for 2-3 hours, to read the documents, I am happy to do so.
    Am I being unreasonable?

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I doubt you need to read them at all...simply let the school know you have read, learnt and inwardly digested the documents and then sign whatever you need to sign to say they were read.

3. Purpleprint1

Purpleprint1 New commenter

Thank you for your reply 'caterpillartobutterfly.
    The only problem with this is if something were to happen which had been stated in the documents, it would fall back on me for not reading them.
    And, if the documents are so important, surely they NEED to be read.
    I know some staff do exactly what you're saying, simply because they don't have enough time to read them all but, what would be the point of the whole exercise in the first place?
    If the documents are so important, school should either allocate time on a teacher training day for staff to read them, or take them off timetable to enable them to read them properly.
    If it's a school 'job', it should be done in school time.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Tricky one, no easy answer. Also it's relevant how long you have been given to read the - if you can fit it in around what you normally do over the next few weeks that's different to must all be done in next 24 hours.

If you are on STPCD school might claim it is covered by the 'additional duties' clause - you need to read it in order to carry out your professional duties. Depends what the document is.

I guess you won't find any specific rule that covers this. You've asked, see what they say.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020