1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Out of hours GP service

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pinkflipflop, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Do you have a walk in clinic nearby or a hospital with an urgent care unit attached to their A&E?

2. No Pff, we don't have walk-in clinics here, and our local minor injuries/A and E is closed at weekends.
    To be seen by the out of hours you have to be screened by the nurse first.
    I really am a bit past myself, tbh, and am now feeling foolish and guilty for having phoned in the first place.
    I am trying to distract myself, by looking on here, and doing a few other things i need ot online, but I can't even be bothered myhead is so sore.

3. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

Can you ring NHS direct or NHS24 depending on where you are? I have used NHS 24 in the past and they refered me straight on to the out of hours service but it was up the them to call me to arrange an appointment there.
    Hope you feel better soon.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I'm annoyed as my GP's surgery now has a Saturday clinic. So I phoned yesterday, went to the automated booking, offered an appointment on the 5th April. Redialled and opted for the receptionist, but was told the surgery was closed till Monday!
    In the meantime, I can't eat, sleep or talk due to a pain shooting up from back teeth to eye. It's just taken me 55 minutes to eat a portion of shepherd's pie. Luckily I've got neat codeine as well as high dose co-codamol and anti-inflammatories here.

5. We don't ahve NHS Direct here :/
    Will you be able to get an appt tomorrow, Lapin?

6. Doglover...
    I'm not for one moment suggesting that you tell a lie to get to see a doctor...but if you mention that you think you may be coughing up blood then you get seen quickly! (I just remember my bronchial troubles some years ago, no GP appointment available for over a week - not with any GP in the surgery...but when I explained the muck I was coughing up looked as if it was flecked brown and maybe it was blood, I had an appointment the same morning!)
    And have you tried a steam inhalation? They can relieve the sinuses quite effectively.

7. Tbh, Bethannie, sometimes what I am coughing does have fresh streaks of blood in it, but I know this is from the sheer force with which I am coughing.
    I am going to try some steam, as my mum has also recommended it.
    I must sound like a real moan, but I am just so tired feeling poorly.
    I am convinced it is a whooping cough related thing and I know I will have to put up with that until it goes away, but the sinus thing on top of it is making it worse.

8. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

DL, hope you feel better soon. Re: your conjunctivitis - you can buy chloramphenical OTC from your local pharmacy if they are open?

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Yes my GP has appointment on day appointments tomorrow.

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Try menthol crystals in the bowl of boiling water, this definitely does help sinuses.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It's a sad fact of life that the NHS shuts at weekends. Try getting any sense out of hospital staff at a weekend as well - impossible. I've been in and out of hospitals visiting relatives for the last five weeks and the NHS is driving me bloody crackers, especially at weekends.
    If I ever get seriously ill I hope it's only be on a Monday to Friday basis.

12. I saw the out of hours GP following a scary sleepless night of breathlessness, related to a similar or same infection as
    Doglover's, persistent cough, maybe a variant of whooping cough. Breathlessness had been a new development, I was gasping to breathe and feared I could collapse. Now I read the blurb about Salamol inhaler. I discover breathlessness is a possible side effect, I think it was the inhaler which didn't agree with me. I was checked out Saturday am., given priority status a care trust centre.

13. I shall refrain from all comment on the NHS, as my views are well known!
    doglover, I know how painful sinusitis is, as I often have bouts of it myself. I find a warm face cloth held to the area helps numb the pain for a short while. Also a salt water nasal wash if you can bear it (I don't like nasals sprays).
    For the headaches, I generally take some ibuprofen and take myself back off to bed. When I get it really bad, I can't tell anymore which bit of my head is hurting - it is one big throbbing ache everywhere, like a migraine and toothache at the same time and my mood is something best not inflicted on others.
    Hope you feel better soon xx

14. We have a walk in centre. I took my friend on a Sunday afternoon as she clearly had an ear infection and was in a great deal of pain.
    Waited for four and half hours, people who had arrived after her were seen first despite a notice clearly stating that patients are seen in order of arrival.
    Eventually saw a nurse with a trolley of drugs, apparently there are two nurses and one Dr, it's pot luck who you see. Nurse agrees antibiotics are needed and hands a pack to my friend who informs him that she is allergic to penicillin, he hadn't bothered to ask. She is then told, well then you'll have to go and see your own G.P just take paracetamol.
    My friend quite understandably in my opinion, got a little upset and was told she would not be treated at all. She wasn't being treated, that's why she was upset. Plus the general attitude of the nurse was not good. I'm all for NHS staff having posters up telling us how we must treat them and what we can expect if we don't but that should go both ways. And don't bother to tell me what a hard shift you've had, I work in a secondary behaviour unit.
    If you can't stand the heat.
    Wouldn't take mt dog to our walk in, would go staright to A&E.

15. I have an appt with my own GP shortly and really hoping to tget some of this sorted out, although I am not holding my breath :(

16. I certainly hope not - we don't want you fainting from lack of oxygen too [​IMG]
    Hope you get it sorted - try to stay calm and just tell him all the symptoms. Forget the worry and fret of the weekend xxx

17. Thank, CQ, I will x

18. I had to read that again to make sure it didn't say crystal meth.
    Doctors will fob you off if you have any suggestion of asthma in your medical history. I spent weeks coughing until I was sick before anyone admitted I had a severe chest infection. On the plus side, I lost quite a bit of weight!

19. If you're anything like me you'll have other antifungal concerns once the antibiotics kick in ;)

Hope you feel better soon.