1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Out for a girls night out and see school pupils who give me abuse

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sciencequeen00, Jul 23, 2011.

1. sciencequeen00

sciencequeen00 New commenter

Out with some friends in town enjoying a few drinks followed by a club to dance and ex school kids from year 11 come over to us while waiting for a taxi- must be 2 years since I taught them so are around 18 now- most have left school, a few still in soxth form. Start calling me by my christian name ( which they did to a few of us at school as thought it was funny).Deeply embarresing in front of my friends as these pupils shouting out remarks about what I am wearing-some saying I looked " fit" but then added insult to injury by say I was a rubbish teacher and they never learnt a thing. I had had a few drinks so I told them to get lost but they kept hounding us!!!!!!!!!
    I am abit annoyed about this but what can I do? I taught this difficult attention seeking class in my NQT year and they seem to just think im a joke-now I feel like I cant go out in town.....

I know what I should have doen is wal away but instead I chose to argue with them- oh why!!!!!

2. If they have been abusing you, report them to the police and press charges. These scum are in the wrong, not you, so do something about it or you'll be targetted again. Just my opinion.

3. sciencequeen00

But I told them to get lost to and was abit choice with my words, I wasnt that friendly!!! I will do it next time I think or maybe just walk away and not get drawn into it (hard after you have had a drink).What can the police actually do though?

4. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

grab the ring leader by the throat, have a very quiet word in her ear and tell her to go forth and multiply in short jerky movements.

works better if she is not longer in your school.

oh and interesting early post in your tes life.

5. Urghh, poor you, horrible thing to happen. I don't know about the police. It sounds fine in theory but in practice by the time they got there the ex-students would probably have gone anyway. I'd have just laughed it off probably - not very pleasant though but when you get annoyed you're giving them what they want, a cheery "A teacher is only as good as her students!" suffices normally. I had this recently with a real whiner of a girl who was targeted for an E (which I think she'll have got) but she was convinced she should be getting a B and it was my fault she wasn't. Happy days! Most students will just say hello though x

6. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Suggest you don't get drunk, go clubbing and get involved in slanging match with other revellers?

7. sciencequeen00

Yes you are right most are lovely and just say hello! Will use your line next time if it ever happens again.[​IMG]

8. If you cannot ignore them then you could try
    "you learnt knowt 'cos you were shyte students, kindly phook off"
    As you said you had been drinking.
    If they say 'yer fit' say "sorry I don't know who you are" or even "kin ell you're even more of an ugly **** now than you were at school go away your pizza face is making me puke".
    What about videoing them with your mobile phone and saying loudy to your friends "what a pair of ugly wazzocks" as you play back.
    Seriously if they are hassling you could video them and then say "leave me alone or I'll report you to the police".
    BTW Assault, in the eyes of the law, is physical assault or the threat of assault. Even if verbal threats were made it counts as assault and if they are 18 now eligible for prosecution.
    The police might already have other complaints about them and welcome your complaint.
    But it is up to you.
    You can go out in town but sadly you get no respect from a large number of people these days.

9. They can think you are a joke, but you could point out to them that you got paid for teaching them. I'd also point out that for any job or university place they need two references and you will be reporting their behaviour to the HT of the school you are at, and to the head of the VI form some of them attend.

Then you could have informed the pub / club that you are their teacher and they are all underage (tthey can't all be 18) and if you see them in there again you will be reporting the pub/club to the licencing people, if they just throw them out now you will let it slide.

Be prepared for it to happen again,don't say anything to them, just smile, ask for the manager of wherever you happen to be and tell them the kids are underage.

10. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

I'm afraid I stay away from where the kids might be, full stop. I just don't want anything like this to happen - I know this doesn't really solve your predicament.
    MM

11. I wouldn't do anything, apart from simply ignore them. You are under no inclination to even acknowledge them, if they're choosing to be unpleasant why are you even bothering? They're not your students anymore, you don't even have to respond. Do you really care what they think? Its all very well to think of smart comebacks that might make you feel better but all this will do is a) give them exactly what they are hoping for and b) make it worse for when you see them next. Rise above it, be the adult and walk away without comment.