1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oustanding KS2 classroom

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by thorpetp, Jun 24, 2010.

1. I am new to teaching and am constantly looking to move forwards and make improvements. What would you all consider to be the features of an outstanding Y5 class/classroom/teacher?

Thanks

2. Purplepasta326

Purplepasta326 New commenter

Bump!
    Would also like to know the answer!

3. I am also a Y5 teacher, and would like to know the answer, here are my suggestions.

Outstanding class - a set of children who are respectful to each other and adults in school, children who try their best (I know these can never be constant - and who would want them to be?) A class who value their school life and the things they learn, a class who work well together, a class who are not afraid to give their opinion on school matters, but know when it is the time to listen to others.
    Outstanding teacher - someone who values every individual in their class and plans every lesson to suit the differing needs in their class (according to assessment and evaluations, but again, I know this cannot always be constant.) An outstanding teacher would also be someone who can give and take advice when needed, someone who respects their class and involves them in deciding some of the content of some lessons.
    Outstanding classroom - tidy, well resourced, looked after, good displays that show off the children's work.

There's probably more, but the holidays are calling! :)

4. That is of course, assuming your Year 6 SATs results have met their targets. If not, then you will never be graded outstanding.

5. Would you be kind enough to pass on some of your planning for outstanding lessons?
    cimee@hotmail.co.uk
    Thanks in advance.

6. Just to add to the excellent advice from getrichquick and LouiseJC, independence is a key factor. Do pupils know how to use self-help strategies and are they resilient in tackling problems. These are key things in the Ofsted 'outstanding' descriptor.
    This is incorrect. The fact that pupils aren't reaching their targets may affect the overall teaching judgement for the school, but certainly won't stop a teacher from getting an outstanding judgement for a lesson.

7. Hi,
    I am in year 6 and we had OFSTED in the week before SATs which was fun. I was observed in maths and got an outstanding grade. They liked that the objective was clear, differentiation for each group, varied questioning and that I ensured everyone was engaged throughout - I also let higher ability start work earlier than the rest of the class as soon as I was sure they understood the objective which they liked. It was not an all singing all dancing lesson,just bog standard lesson on rotation.the assistant head joined the inspector for the observation which I also thnk helped.
    Will pass on planning and screens if you want to take a look - but as I said it was just a regular lesson so don't expect too much [​IMG]

8. Moisy

Moisy New commenter

Hi there Swils,
    Could you please pass on planning and screens to me-not expecting ofsted but would like to do some work on rotation and this post came up on the search.
    Many thanks
    moira.croskell@talktalk.net