1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Ourselves' topic Yr1/2 - alien theme?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by CupcakeLover, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Hi, I am just planning my science for my first teaching practice and would appreciate your opinions on my idea.

I am teaching 'ourselves' topic to yr 1/2 and was thinking about a way to introduce it to the class. I had thought i could set it up as though we had been contacted by aliens who wanted to know all about humans, then go on to teach about life processes, the human body etc. Each lesson would effectively be answering a question from the aliens (E.g. Do you humans change as you get older?), perhaps giving it more meaning than if i just gave the children tasks?

I think it would give the lessons a purpose, I am not sure however that this is appropriate for the year group? Will it just confuse them more?

Thanks for any feedback x

2. II think it sounds a lovely idea. One I might steal myself in the future!!! In my experience, if you can give the children a 'real' purpose for their learning then it really engages them and they are motivated to learn. I also find that this sort of thing will help to stimulate independant writing - make sure you link it to your writing area :)

3. NeKo

NeKo New commenter

You could always start with the book QPootle5, so that it is obviously a link to fiction (see mumsnet post via alien crash landing!)!

4. Here Come the Aliens is also a good book for a starter, missing out the last page where they run away from the human children.[​IMG]