1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ourselves, parts of the body

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ellie28, Aug 9, 2012.

1. ellie28

ellie28 New commenter

Hello, just looking for suggestions of activities linked to naming parts of the body.Would like to set up a carousel of different activities Year 1, can link to any curriculum area but with this as focus.
    Thanks for any ideas!

2. ellie28

ellie28 New commenter

Hello, just looking for suggestions of activities linked to naming parts of the body.Would like to set up a carousel of different activities Year 1, can link to any curriculum area but with this as focus.
    Thanks for any ideas!

3. Give them x-rays to identify.
    You could also make treasure hunt clues for them to solve, e.g. I live with 4 friends but I'm not quite the same = thumb.

4. Maybe give them an outline of a face and a mirror, they have to draw their features and label them?

5. comenius

comenius New commenter

Can you get hold of a large skeleton? They could blu tac labels to the correct part of the body.
    Jigsaws
    Sponge print a figure and then label the body parts http://www.bakerross.co.uk/product-Design-a-Person-Sponge-Painting-Set-E809.htm
    Have photos of body parts taken from strange angles - children identify which part of the body it is!
    Rolls of backing paper, they draw round their friend and label as many body parts as they can.
    Make a beebot mat with a large figure drawn on it - send beebot to the eye, hand etc
    Put bits of skeletons in sand tray with small sieves - sieve the sand to get a bone and then match it the correct body part on a printed figure/doll. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000ENW5VU/ref=asc_df_B000ENW5VU9182307?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B000ENW5VU
    Put a body part in a feely bag - can they guess what it is? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Extreme-Stretchies-PARTS-Gruesome-Halloween/dp/B0045D6BR4/ref=sr_1_32?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1344793585&sr=1-32
    Riddles - I am at the end of the leg after the ankle?!?
    Playdoh body parts?
    Labelling dolls/small world figures

6. byjingo

byjingo New commenter

Terrific ideas, Comenius, many thanks for sharing them. I particularly liked the skeletons in the sand tray, I think that will be very popular.

7. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I followed the link to the skeleton and it seemed really expensive. I don't know when you need the activity for, but if you can hang on until the shops have their Hallowe'en stuff then you should be able to get something at a fraction of the price. I got some cheap ones in Asda a few years ago, and they're still going strong.