1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Our SLT have no idea what a behaviour policy should look like ...

Discussion in 'Education news' started by pixiewixiepixie, Mar 19, 2016.

1. pixiewixiepixie

pixiewixiepixie Occasional commenter

4 days to go and it is the right time to be going. I'm exhausted after just two terms!

Our autocratic SLT are so blind, they cannot see that their behaviour policy is dysfunctional, impractical, just doesn't work and makes students' behaviour worse not better. All the things that reports and studies identify repeatedly about what makes a bad behaviour policy, what doesn't work in schools, this school has got! I suspect that there are some issues that could offer mitigating circumstances for the SLT. Because they never talk to the troops on the ground about behaviour, because they don't understand that including everyone in a behaviour policy and implementing it successfully is the way to make it effective, we'll never know.

SLT never involved staff in the original policy, and they never include staff in any reviews. The same children (sorry, that should read, 'the same SLT') cause the same problems for teachers in the classroom again and again and again and again and .....

The school could be good. Because of the next to useless Head and SLT, it's a disaster zone; children learn far less than they could, they have their life chances stunted and staff are constantly miserable and demoralised and worn out.

Four long months off and then China here we come. The grass will be at least as green because it can't be worse than the brown stains everywhere at this school.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    Shedman likes this.
  2. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Our autocratic SLT are so blind, they cannot see that their behaviour policy is dysfunctional, impractical, just doesn't work and makes students' behaviour worse not better. All the things that reports and studies identify repeatedly about what makes a bad behaviour policy, what doesn't work in schools, this school has got! I suspect that there are some issues that could offer mitigating circumstances for the SLT. Because they never talk to the troops on the ground about behaviour, because they don't understand that including everyone in a behaviour policy and implementing it successfully is the way to make it effective, we'll never know.

SLT never involved staff in the original policy, and they never include staff in any reviews. The same children (sorry, that should read, 'the same SLT') cause the same problems for teachers in the classroom again and again and again and again and .....

The school could be good. Because of the next to useless Head and SLT, it's a disaster zone; children learn far less than they could, they have their life chances stunted and staff are constantly miserable and demoralised and worn out.

Four long months off and then China here we come. The grass will be at least as green because it can't be worse than the brown stains everywhere at this school.[/QUOTE]

And I'll bet the SLT never teach a class!

3. install

install Star commenter

At least you have sight of the policy -some staff in schools have to look for the policy on the website to get a glance of it...

4. katykook

katykook Occasional commenter

Whenever I've been to a school on supply I always read the behaviour policy and most of them are wishy washy. They explain what behaviour they expect from the students but then don't give a clear set of consequences if the students don't live up to this.

cissy3 likes this.
  5. mandylifeboats

mandylifeboats Occasional commenter

We usually "borrow" our policies from schools SLT used to work in.

6. install

install Star commenter

Behaviour Policies also always focus on negative behaviour ......thereby giving the naughty kids more attention,time and power

katykook and WJClarkson like this.
  7. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

you clearly need a policy policy.
    wonder how many policies schools had 20 years ago?

8. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Or if they do, it involves so much (extra) paperwork, and chasing about, that you wonder if it's worth bothering, when you're already exhausted from dealing with it.

katykook and install like this.
  9. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

a phone call home, last thing on a Friday, just before the weekend, or even better just before a holiday break often gives me a nice warm feeling. If the parents are remotely "onside" it inconveniences the Little S more than any detention. Of course, if the parents are not, it doesn't much matter what you do.
    My HT from a few schools ago did at the time on call, meaning he rang the parent at work and require they picked up the miscreant immediately. To be returned to school when they ahd taught them to behave. Worked a treat.

katykook likes this.