1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Our school doesn't test, find it hard to get reading levels!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dowager_countess, May 23, 2011.

1. Hi all, I teach Y4, at my school we do APP ongoing for every child for reading. I'm finding it really hard to see if my overall levels are actually accurate now for their end of year results! For example, I've been ticking and highlighting as the children have shown evidence of each AF in various reading sessions, and am now left with a sheet of ticks and highlighted parts. How can I be sure that this is accurate? In other schools they would do an optional SAT or some kind of test to check their level is accurate, but we don't do any testing at all!

aaah what to do??

2. Hi all, I teach Y4, at my school we do APP ongoing for every child for reading. I'm finding it really hard to see if my overall levels are actually accurate now for their end of year results! For example, I've been ticking and highlighting as the children have shown evidence of each AF in various reading sessions, and am now left with a sheet of ticks and highlighted parts. How can I be sure that this is accurate? In other schools they would do an optional SAT or some kind of test to check their level is accurate, but we don't do any testing at all!

aaah what to do??

3. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

No optional Y3,4,5 QCA?? Sounds v weird to me...so your Y6s get to that year then without ever having done a test? That cant be good for them surely?
    Id stick two fingers up, download a QCA off the net and do it anyway personally. Tick boxes totally meaningless ultimately in May in Y6

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

Can you compare like for like with another yr 4 class.
    Most schools have a time where you moderate your App figures and show eveidence to 'prove' your points.
    Could you work with yr5/yr 3 teacher and see if there are APPs which overlap and so compare to stanardise your marking and recording?
    Alternativly you can use reading/spelling tests and check your kids...although often these only show word reading skills.