1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Our lost national assets.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, Oct 30, 2015.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I have just read an FT., article regarding the BBC here is a small part of it:-
    "Protect the BBC. If it did not now exist, we could not invent it. That makes preserving it even more important. The BBC is among the UK’s most remarkable achievements. Its mission to “inform, educate and entertain” remains as relevant today as when it was founded in 1922. Above all, the government must remember that it is not its property. It belongs to the public, now and in generations to come.
    Strange that now a media source is under a potential threat the media (FT) comes to its defence.
    When successive governments have sold off our nationalised industries where were they then? I expect no answers but if I could have access to the powers that be I would ask them that question followed by more direct questions regarding the theft of our nations industries.

Eureka! likes this.
  2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Totally agree but governments like to control spin and be on the winning side.
    If t was curtailed them it would be a loss to the nation and to me.i find it a light in a world of cra**y tv and radio communications.
    Governments of all coulours are quick to use it i emergencies and quick to condemn while it seems to go against what it wants.

needabreak likes this.
  3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Every government in the past has been convinced that, whatever its political orientation, the BBC was diametrically opposed to it. For eg., Wilson slated the BBC as being too right-wing in nature; Thatcher was convinced it was too left-wing..... this is a measure of the value of and the (comparatively) apolitical nature of the Corp., its (comparative) balanced reporting stance on this and other countries' news, and its ability to challenge and question whatever party is in power. Cameron and his ilk cannot bear the lack of control over the BBC. It will be a real tragedy if it goes.

needabreak and Eureka! like this.
  4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Successive governments with equal hypocrisy.
    I do not remember any potential government saying prior to election that they would sell off the countries assets, yet the media until now has ignored (largely) it.

5. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

The BBC...what a treasure. Relic of a bygone age. Like Palmyra. If it disappeared tomorrow it'd be no loss to me, it'd be a net gain of £150 pa.

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

actually if it went subscription then it would take it out of the hands of the goverment..and then folks really would realise how much they would have to pay for tv.Most folks just assume it costs nothing to produce programmes...or even worse but an idea,it sell advertising space and they would raise a mighty uproar from the commercial stations

monicabilongame likes this.
  7. Memphismojo

Memphismojo Established commenter

Maybe not so strange considering the FT and BBC are staunchly pro EU as well as the vast majority of the media. The FT would want it's ally to continue to exist. It makes dissemination of EU propaganda much easier.

8. Memphismojo

The reason I think is the looming possible Brexit.

9. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

The number of times I listen to the BBC News and shout "F*** OFF!" at the screen must surely mean it's not all that partisan. I don't seem to think the individual presenters are always on-message as far as the status quo prevails.

kibosh likes this.
  10. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

You like watching adverts I assume Artboy? Is that your beef with the BBC? The BBC works. Hands off!

11. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

The day Jeremy Paxman or David Dimbleby say something like "Tides go in, Tides go out - you can't prove that!" then you'll have a point.

Until then,this:

Fox News. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Eureka! likes this.
  12. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Nice job
    I don't have to pay for adverts. I DO have to pay for the BBC and sorry, I don't feel like paying out for Dad's Army reruns, compo money for Jimmy Saville victims and to maintain the nice lifestyles of Stephen Fry, Victoria Wood, Marcus Brigstocke and every other overvalued BBC sock puppet.

13. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Speaking of reruns...

14. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Yes, here you are again.

After all that flouncing...

15. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Lovely to see you, too. Can we go back to ignoring each other? Well, that'll be my policy anyway. Ta ta.

16. Memphismojo

You forgot the pompous windbag Sandy Toksviq.

17. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Myopic Art, not like you at all.

18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I tend to think the BBC tries to remain neutral in such matters.

19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I cannot see such a connection.

20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Oh dear, who would you pay for Art? I may regret asking!