1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Our house' - word class / part of speech : our

Discussion in 'English' started by wordclass, Jan 26, 2011.

1. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

So - what is it?

2. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

So - what is it?

3. A possessive pronoun.

4. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

That was what I said. MFL teacher informed me I was wrong, claiming it was a possessive adjective.

5. It is actually a possessive determiner because it precedes a noun and doesn't replace one

6. It is actually a possessive determiner because it precedes a noun and doesn't replace one.

7. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

There's absolutely nothing wrong in calling it a "genitive" or "possessive" personal pronoun.
    If you want to be more specific, it's the attributive possessive (or "genitive") personal pronoun as opposed to the "nominal" ("possessive"/"genitive"), which is "ours".
    But in different systems, it may be termed differently. I don't think you're actually disagreeing over what it is, just over what you call it!

Any help?

8. markuss

You know what I mean?
    Just ask, "So, what is the difference between a possessive pronoun and a possessive adjective?"
    If they don't know what to say, then you're just using names from different terminology systems. You both know what you're talking about - only the person you're talking to doesn't understand that.
    (In my view, it's not very clever to call "our" an adjective but I won't go into the whys and wherefores.)

9. markuss

However, it is a valid grammatical term:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possessive_adjective

10. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

Just ask, "So, what is the difference between a possessive pronoun and a possessive adjective?"

To her, a 'true' possessive pronoun would be a word like "mine" or "ours". whereas "MY house" and "OUR car" are possessive adjectives. I understood her distinction and reasoning. However, like you said, it could be easily argued that MY and OUR are not 'proper' adjectives.

I quite like the idea of calling them 'possessive determiners'.

What amused me most about the little exchange was her attempt to 'pull rank' on me... "I went to a grammar school in the days they taught grammar!"

11. markuss

Well, so did I, wordclass but in my day, they only taught Latin grammar - and pretended it was the same for English (only debased).

12. You guys are awesome and all, but what part of speech is our?

13. markuss

Go for "possessive determiner".

14. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I'm with markuss - possessive determiner if being pedantic. (I was taught grammar in exactly the way he was, btw,)