1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Our head teacher has brought in supply to break workload strike

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by eastendgal, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Hello,
    It's just not done is it? Approximately 30 supply teachers passed our picket lines on thursday to do our jobs.
    We are striking over longstanding oppressive management and workload issues.
    This must be a very worrying precedent to set for us all regarding our wish to be given the time, professional respect and courtesy to plan and deliver the learning our students deserve. Our union know about this but does anyone have any further advice? Thank you

2. I have no advice, however I would think that your union would be looking at legal issues here. If you are talking about the school I think you are, you are in dreadful situation and you have my heartfelt support. I have no idea how this situation will be resolved, but wanted you to know that people who do not work at the school in question are behind you in your struggle.

3. well, I hope this head teachers pension is well and truly stuffed by the government. It will serve him/she right!!! It will be too late afterwards to complain.

4. Just think though, cover will be costing the school a lot of money and as the teachers on strike will not be setting cover work, the cover teachers will purely be expensive baby sitters!
    So really, except for the feeling of 'getting one over' the striking striking teachers and satisfying parents who would have to sort out their own baby sitting arrangements, this head is just wasting money...

5. Totally agree. this is going to cost the school a lot of money and generally if there is a majority walkout by teachers, then they usually close the school. I am surprised the governors have agreed this - they must have been consulted?

6. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

shame on those supply teachers for crossing a picket line. Head sounds like a loony. Wish you all well and success in your campaign - with a head like that I'm sure it is very difficult to keep your tempers.

7. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Much as I agree, the head is simply spending the money deducted from strikers' salaries.

8. chriszwinter1

Mind you, he or she is still a loony, trying to buck the trend and say to parents, "I'm being good and making sure your little cherubs are being taught while those nasty, overpaid strikers just show what a bunch of militant wreckers they really are." As 90% of schools will close, that head's attendance figures for Wednesday will take a dive, whereas if he/she had closed they wouldn't be affected. Loony indeed.

9. If this is the school I think it is this is not the pensions strike, but an ongoing issue around teacher workload at a specific secondary. The head there has sent letters to parents which are self-promoting and vague about the reasons at best. Teachers are, of course, not permitted to discuss any details because this would be unprofessional.

10. chriszwinter1

A self promoting head? Surely not? All the ones I've known have been keen to stress that everything we do is for the children, not for ourselves. So all those trips to China and expenses claims for 39p for a return trip to a feeder school a mile away have been for the learners. And the ones who have a blog, paid for by us the taxpayers, have had the children's welfare as their sole focus. And anyone who thinks that there are heads who are arrogant, narcissitic egomaniacs (I know that's tautology) is sadly mistaken.

11. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

Not so, the DfE changed the Pupil Registration Regulations last year so that industrial action days (and weather closures etc) no longer count against a school's attendance record.

12. I wonder if the recruited strikebreakers will cross tomorrow's picket.

13. chriszwinter1

But what if a head decides to open and the darlings still stay away?

14. Over 40 agency staff today.....apparently....

15. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

Still doesn't count as part of the school's termly attendance rate, in effect the day is disregraded in calculating the termly attendance. Originally brought in to deal with weather closures so that schools that struggled to open in bad weather and few pupils made it in weren't disdvantged compared to schools that closed entirely. But as written the Regulations have same effect for closure through industrial action.

16. chriszwinter1

Thanks for the clarification.

17. Presumably the said headteacher knows that all these supply teachers will be able to keep good order (sorry, I meant 'manage behaviour') for the day. Could be fun otherwise.

18. " ...for the day..."

1 day last week
    2 days this week,
    3 days next week and per week until Christmas...

19. http://righttowork.org.uk/2011/11/langdon-teachers-plan-to-strike-every-tuesday-wednesday-and-thursday-until-term-ends-for-christmas/

20. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

The total bill for supply could be more, who knows?
    The pupils won't be getting the same quality of lessons as they would with their regular teachers - I wonder what parents think of this.