1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Our Greengrocer Closed Down Today

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Apr 8, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

A small, yet popular shop. Opened every day of the week but closed at 1.00pm on Sundays, which seemed fair enough. In the main, the produce was superior in flavour to that of the supermarket, and all locally grown. All reasonably priced too. You could buy however much you needed rather than however much the supermarket felt appropriate to package.
    I'd have thought, given our location, 10 miles from the nearest supermarket, they'd have done ok, but it seems not. Very sad. Yet another victim to the might of the supermarket and a stark realisation that whatever has been said on here about the ease you can find alternatives to the supermarket has to be taken with a pinch of salt in the longer-term.

2. Oh! A moment of contemplation is needed.
    I am beginning to dislike shopping in any supermarket these days. I feel guilty too often!

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

A sad day indeed.

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

So sad when a treasure of an independent shop closes down.

We 'lost' a local greengrocer a few months ago. He never had any problem selling you just one large cooking apple - usually after debating the merits of a coupe of varieties. ...and as you walked past he'd shout after you...'hey....I've got some beautiful shallots coming in tomorrow - perfect for that sweet/sour onion dish you do, I'll keep you a bagful!'.....and then sadly the notice came up saying he was closing.
    When asked he said he couldn't compete with Tesco...Please! There was no competition in my mind! We have a choice of two Tescos - the little one in the town centre that currently offers 3 shelves stacked with chocolate-flavoured Easter kitsch but can't manage to find space for milk or onions! - or you go to the 'big' Tesco which is admittedly huge (and soul-less) and is on the bus-route (despite petitions against Tesco even building the new store!).
    Thankfully we have a good local market with a couple of greengrocer stalls.
    My dilemma is that I have been looking into getting a fruit/veg box delivered. I've been swithering for ages on this decision. The price is good, and it is fairly local, organic prooduce. Environmentally it is a very good set-up. And unlike the small Tesco they will supply milk too!.....But, I feel guilty about not supporting the local tradesman. Should I continue to shop at the local market?

5. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I have just this dilemma, in relation to the local farm shop though.

6. That is indeed sad, MM.
    I still hope you don't take my posts with a pinch of salt - I always point out that I am posting from a German perspective and independent traders still do well here.
    Perhaps there is more demand here and we do not resort to supermarkets as much? I don't know - we have our chains of supermarkets and discounters too (including of course, the now international Aldi and Lidl) but most of us buy our fresh produce at the butchers, grocers and/or market. We still have speciality shops for bed linen, shoe repairs, picture framing, photos, etc.
    We don't really have veg boxes (I do know one local farm who does them) and we don't do online grocery shopping either (I can't think of one chain that offers this, actually, for food produce).
    I am sure in the big metropolitan cities such as Berlin, Hamburg, Munich, the situation may be different, although having said that, I have visited them all and have friends there and everyone tends to buy in little ethnic stores!