1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Our Food

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by nick909, Apr 10, 2012.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Anyone watch this last week? Quite good. Norfolk was featured in this episode - turnips, sugar beet, mint, mustard, samphire and crab, among others. Quite good. I learnt stuff, which is always a good thing.
    MM - it'll be right up your strasse.
    Interested to see further episodes.

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Thanks for that, nick. I'll look out for it. I caught a brief glimpse of it last week before the kitchen filled with smoke and the dog started caughing and I had to leave it and give her who must be obeyed something edible to eat.
    I regard myself as fortunate that the chore I undertake in our household has such variety, so much opportunity for inspiration and education, and is so well supported by the media. It's a telling fact thay they don't make programmes to show everyone how to do the washing, ironing and hoovering.
    Also they don't have programmes to show youngsters how to do the myriad of other things I do behind the scenes that take just a few moments but prevent everything disintegrating into turmoil. Like why the washing machine or dishwasher isn't working any longer or the hoover isn't picking up dust and debris. Why he sink is blocked.
    It isn't rocket science to work out what's wrong, and it isn't rocket science to be able to cook. It's just that cooking a good meal gets the vote every time as far as the telly's concerned.
    Don't get the impression I'm knocking cookery programmes. I'm knocking the rest of the rubbish that's broadcast instead of something useful and just as interesting as cooking.

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

We don't watch much TV either, bar the news and the odd programme on BBC4 we only really make time for food related programmes and certainly not all of those (I couldn't bring myself to watch those Baker brothers and can't be bothered with that Paris kitchen woman either). We tend to watch boxsets or films in our downtime. Although I am a massive Apprentice fan, despite (or maybe because of) its absolute silliness.
    Ought to point out that this isn't a cookery programme at all. It's a look into the history of the food we grow and produce in our country. Very interesting, although it's not going to inspire mahy into the kitchen.

4. ljr

ljr New commenter

I found parts of the programme quite fascinating - time was given to each individual topic instead of just a quick mention and then on to the next item, as in so many programmes. I particularly enjoyed the history of the food items covered. I must admit that I could guess at some of the foods to be covered, as it was Norfolk- mustard & crab were fairly easy to guess. I am struggling to think what an hour on Wales can cover other than lamb, but I am looking forward to watching it and learning something about Welsh food.

5. Yes it was a well written programme. I didn't know that the windmills were used to pump the water from the marshes. As a northerner, disappointed a nod wasn't made to Durham City as the originator of the mustard refining process though

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Being a Swansea lad, my money's on cockles, laverbread, sea trout, black beef, mountain lamb or salt marsh lamb, leeks, mussels...there's loads of great Welsh food.
    Depends if it's North or South Wales as well. It's a big country to cover in an episode.

7. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

You might be able to help me out here, nick. I remember spending a night at the West Usk lighthouse in Newport which had been converted into a guest house. It all looked very nice on the website, but it turned out to be miles from civilisation and only reachable by a dirt road full of pits filled with rainwater. It turned out they didn't serve any food other than breakfast and the nearest place to eat was a pub a few miles down the road.
    Ok, so I'm up for trying local food wherever I go and there's this thing on the menu they claim is a sausage but with a Welsh town associated with it. Unfortunately, travelling as much as I did, town names become a blur, so I can't remember this particular one.
    But I do remember the meal which was a leek in cheese sauce and not a sausage at all. I added this to the many other disappointments I'd had dining in Newport like pies that contained nothing other than gravy with a pastry crust. What do imagine it might have been known as?

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

It sounds like a Glamorgan sausage, MM. As you say, not a sausage at all, but a veggie thing, made mainly of leeks, cheese (Caerphilly, usually) and breadcrumbs, and shaped like a sausage. I think they have been around for a long time, a hundred years or more - not something that's been invented with the advent of vegetarianism, probably something that was inspired by austerity or the inability to afford meat.
    I have to say, I've never had one.
    I'm sure you know this, but Glamorgan isn't a Welsh town but a group of three counties, Mid, West and South Glamorgan (originally just the one county).

9. ljr

ljr New commenter

Well done nick, you were right! I certainly learnt a lot from this programme

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I was horrified to see the mussel farmer had no UK market for his delicious moules and sends them all to Holland! That is just WRONG [​IMG]
    But. like the Welsh I too love a bit of green on my leeks.