1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Our first GCSE Science 2011 specification is now accredited

Discussion in 'Science' started by Mangleworzle, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Maybe the OP could explain why they keep bouncing back and why it's taking so long? As others have said, the one that no-one cares about any more is ok - whoopty doo!
    It seems like a feckless kid doing their coursework. "Ok, you need to make THESE changes for it to be ok" - two weeks later a barely changed "new" version arrives. "LISTEN! - you need to make these THESE changes". Two weeks later - etc. etc. Are we up to version 4 now?

2. I spoke to a lady at AQA and they are as upset as us, if not more so. However, I agree, it is unfortunate that it is additional applied science... Which is a great course, but not recognised as being so by the government as it is 60% coursework... Or was. But then it might be more to do with the government not knowing their **** and elbow apart.

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I find it hard to sympathise.
    They know what they need to do and keep not doing it. Like the kid with the coursework, they think maybe they can sip in under the wire rather than do what's needed. They got away with it last time. It's more to do with delivering what they have to at maximum profitablity by selling ancillary resources than delivering a quality product.

4. I'm not sure that's true.... I think, especially with AQA, it's about delivering what teachers keep asking for - i.e. really easy to use and mark ISAs, rather than about profit. However, if Ofqual don't like the ISA, but the reason teachers stay with AQA is because they do like the ISA, then AQA find themselves in a bit of a Catch-22...

5. I see Science B is now accredited as well. I imagine it shouldn't be long before Science A is as well as they are not that different.

6. Actually it is probably the controlled assessment that is the sticking point as they are different in Science A & B.

7. mm38

mm38 New commenter

All AQA specs are not approved! At last we can definitely plan for September!

8. wire247

wire247 New commenter

9. mm38

mm38 New commenter

Yes sorry they are now approved!

10. wire247

wire247 New commenter