1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Our ancient enemy strikes again

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

artboyusa likes this.
  2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Or, you can read it as, 'environmentally aware French try to stop foreign boats stripping the scallop beds'...;)

emerald52, monicabilongame and Dodros like this.
  3. Vince_Ulam

Yes, I am sure that it must be the health of the environment which is at the forefront of their minds as they throw Molotov cocktails at the British boats.

4. notrevlim

notrevlim Established commenter

Scallop fishing can be hugely destructive and the French have very tight management to protect stocks and the seabed. That makes for easy pickings for boats that aren't interested in conservation. You won't read about that in the British press.

5. Vince_Ulam

I am sure that neither British nor French fishermen want their stocks to collapse. On the other hand they are under the same increasing financial pressures as the rest of us compounded by the costs of their business equipment, additional personal insurance &c. If things look bad now between the fleets then wait until after Brexit.

6. notrevlim

notrevlim Established commenter

I believe that the particular beds are seeded and managed with the co-operation of the French fishermen. It's regarded as an exemplary conservation scheme. Since British fishermen have the same access, it makes sense for them to stick to the same rules. Brexit changes everything. They've got seven months to scrape up as much as possible while they can.

Dodros and Scintillant like this.
  7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Nanook_rubs_it likes this.
  8. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

At last, an issue that Brexit will solve.

notrevlim likes this.
  9. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

And of course they don't do that!

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I don't like scallops.

border_walker and Dragonlady30 like this.
  11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Stange as in the press somewhere i read the problem arose because normally they have a signed agreement to treat these beds in a certain way.this deal for some reason was noth signed this year,so the agreement between the nations was null and void,
    Not sure which one failed to ratify the greement again..I am sure they will blame the British. On hear you seem to be suggesting its brexits fault already.

12. Nanook_rubs_it

You misunderstand; in this solitary instance, Brexit is the solution!

13. oldsomeman

14. Nanook_rubs_it

Exactly! French shellfish for French fishermen. Isn't that what you voted to leave for?

15. oldsomeman

If it mean British fish for British fishermen yes, They can share their scollops to themselves as it is thier territorial water,.But thats not what the French want.....alreadry we are, in their eyes ,a third counrty of little significance in the scheme of things

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Michael Gove said that we would be licensing continental boats since the home fleet is too small to land the catch.

17. oldsomeman

If we hadnt agreed to such EU rulings in the first palce, which led to out laying up and destroying our fishing fleet, there might have been bigger boats.

border_walker likes this.
  18. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Brexiteers wil love this story....

19. Nanook_rubs_it

Unfortunately, it isn't as simple as that. It was mostly down to 1970’s UK fisheries policy (over fishing U.K. waters), and then spending too much time pinching Iceland’s. Also British fishermen selling their quotas:

https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-pinching-our-fish/

notrevlim and monicabilongame like this.
  20. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Looks like they're all being very shellfish.

Sorry, but it had to be done!