1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ouch slipped disc!!!!!! Any help or advice

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by chubbyone, Feb 19, 2012.

1. chubbyone

chubbyone New commenter

Back pain all week, progressively got worse as week went on. Went to A and E this morning as no sleep for 3 days due to pain got told slipped disc. In agony ( worse than child birth) and been told to rest for couple of days, then take gentle movements. Said minimum of 2 weeks off work :( but would not give me note as quote "you can self certificate for a week'". Got to go to own GP before the end of the week if more mobile to get a note. So much pain, in tears!!!!! Any one got any suggestions or help? Feel so sorry for myself :( sob sob I know it's how long is a piece of string and everyone is different but ouchhhhhhh.

2. chubbyone

chubbyone New commenter

Back pain all week, progressively got worse as week went on. Went to A and E this morning as no sleep for 3 days due to pain got told slipped disc. In agony ( worse than child birth) and been told to rest for couple of days, then take gentle movements. Said minimum of 2 weeks off work :( but would not give me note as quote "you can self certificate for a week'". Got to go to own GP before the end of the week if more mobile to get a note. So much pain, in tears!!!!! Any one got any suggestions or help? Feel so sorry for myself :( sob sob I know it's how long is a piece of string and everyone is different but ouchhhhhhh.

3. What a lazy doctor! If they said 2 weeks off work, that's longer than the self-certifying limit, therefore they should give you a note!
    Sorry to hear you're in so much pain. I've not experienced a slipped disc but just had a cast off for a broken ankle and things are still very sensitive. I think you just have to take things easy. I was going to say act as if you're none-weight-bearing, but actually that'd be worse as everything would seize up and be far more painful to try and move (my ankle is very very stiff and painful even though there's no broken bone now).
    I suggest, getting a good book, or box set to watch on DVD and totally do nothing for a couple of days and then, as they say, take it slowly. Literally move if you have to, increasing movement each day.
    And lastly, I managed to get through my broken ankle saga (even when totally down in the dumps as I've a 13month old who I couldn't do anything for) by thinking, there are people worse off than a broken ankle. And the same for you; although a slipped disc is agony now, it could be soooo much worse. You will get better by taking it easy and then you'll have recovered, back to normal! You just have to hope the time goes quickly!

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Do rest. Do take care. Do NOT take the painkiller tramadol!

5. The first thing you need to do is get an ice pack and put on your back for 10-15 minutes about once an hour. This will help inflammation. If you have ibuprofen in then take the maximum dose of that (6 tablets in 24 hours). Intersperse this with paracetamol (max dose). Ring the doctor and tell him what has happened he will give you a stronger pain killers probably codeine along with a stronger anti inflammatory. He may also give you a muscle relaxant. Insist you cannot get to the surgery and will probably need a sick note. My doctor actually came out to me and wrote me a sick note straightaway. There is nothing much you can do at the acute phase but wait for the inflammation to go down and treat the pain. Once you are on stronger meds you will find yourself more able to move. Take advantage of this and walk gently as much as you can. Laying in bed does more harm than good. Also ask for referral to a physiotherapist so that you can be given the correct exercises to do to hopefully avoid this happening again. If you can afford it once the pain has subsided get yourself to an osteopath I found this has helped me more than anything.
    I feel your pain and agree it is worse than child birth I was crying in pain. I have had this happen many times now and have ended up with quite a chronic back problem. Take care

6. I think everyone is different when it comes to feeling more comfortable. A hard chair would have been terribly painful for me when my disc ruptured the only thing I could do was lay curled up on my side. I still struggle to sit for any length of time as the sitting position is the worst position for putting pressure on discs. Just thought I better point that out.

7. chubbyone

chubbyone New commenter

Thanks for you kind wishes and thoughts. Still in complete and utter agony!!!! Painkillers are taking the edge off but have to be careful what I take as codeine makes me sick and other forms have a way of making me very drowsy.
    At mo being in bed is the worse, sat on a usually very uncomfortable computer chair us the only thing that is offering me bait of comfort. I am booked into GP tomorrow as only day that someone can take me. I am getting my self in a tiswas now as even though absolutely hate having time from work I am getting myself in a state over whether the doctor will issue a note tomorrow after my experience at A and E on Sunday. My rational part says he will as can not even walk without pain where my irrational is saying I best see if I can quicken up as will be back at work on Monday. Maybe the pain + painkillers+ tiredness is the cause of this worry. I am the first to say if you are ill and in pain should not be in work but myself well different matter. Just want some relief from the pain, discomfort I can cope with but pain is not nice:(
    I know it will get better and there are people there worse off than me but I can usually cope with a lot but this has knocked me for 6.