1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OTTs now ? when will the madness end?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by supply slave, May 29, 2011.

1. So Gove intends to make it easier for OTTs to come to this country to get teaching jobs - er what jobs. We constantly read about the lack of work or qualified teachers forced to take CS work just to feed that family. And if we look at the Jobseekers forum there can be anything up to 300 applications for one position. Wonder if we can get an online petition going or something.

2. So Gove intends to make it easier for OTTs to come to this country to get teaching jobs - er what jobs. We constantly read about the lack of work or qualified teachers forced to take CS work just to feed that family. And if we look at the Jobseekers forum there can be anything up to 300 applications for one position. Wonder if we can get an online petition going or something.

3. darkness

darkness New commenter

I am unsure myself where they are getting this info from, but it appeared to be the TDA, but of course they would say this though.

Even when they mention Maths teacher shortages, frankly I have never encountered it. On the occasions I went to interview and they were interviewing Maths candidates on the same day, it was always mentioned how hundreds had applied for the 1 post. For Maths. I think the only schools which struggle are those in special measures or have dire reputations. They struggle for candidates for any subject though, so hardly a shortage. I don't understand how they come to the conclusion they do though, statistics say the number unable to get a post has been increasing year on year.

4. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

When I have read posts from head teachers and heads of departments saying that they have over a hundred applicants for a post then there is too many qualified teachers, I have had a letter from a school, who denied me an interview and they mentioned how many applicants they had for the post and it was not just a dozen or so. When you have math's teachers in London, where the government claim there is a serious teacher shortage, then there is a problem. You just have to look at the figures published in the TES last October (2010), the number of NQT's who failed to get a post from the 2008-2009 was 52%, an increase of 33% from the previous year, when it was offically 19%. This meant that some 17,000 NQT's failed to gain a post at the same time the GTC registered 10,000 instructors (also quoted from the GTC in the article). So it does not see a genius or a math teacher to see the connection.
    Now we have Michael Gove saying teachers from countries like South Africa and Jamarica can teach in England without any restrictions that use to exist. This will make the situation only worse and what is worse Mr Goves is demaning that we improve the standards of teachers already in schools and those wishing to begin teacher training in England. Yet you are telling me that the standard of the training and the standards of the teachers from these countries is better then those in England? English trained teachers are wanted over the world, except in England, where the government is intent on undermining and destroying the profession in the name of the market economy, 'money before quality' should be the motto of the politicians in this country, because this as been the policy for the last few years, with the use of support staff and OTT to teach and now the flood gates are wide open, 'God help us qualified English teachers', should be our motto now.