1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OTT thinking of doing a GTP (switching from HS to Primary)

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by Cougarjo, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Yes! I've already been in contact with you but thought I'd also answer this here in case it is of interest to anyone else! I graduated with a 4 yr BS in elementary education in the USA in 1996 and moved to the UK as soon as I graduated. I am about to start my GTP in September. I volunteered at least one day a week for about 3 years while my kids were little and then for the last couple of years I have worked as a TA. For me, this route was easier than trying to do the OTTP. The GTP providers around here find places in schools for you (some have partnership schools they use exclusively) whereas with the OTTP you have to find your own job and get hired as an unqualified teacher. Plus, because I graduated so long ago and didn't actually do any teaching following graduation, I thought this route would prepare me better. The OTTP just throws you in at the deep end whereas the GTP eases you in. Just my opinion :D

2. Fantastic! Thanks for the reply! I'm looking forward to applying this year; I just hope I can impress with the application process! You must be really excited to start your training soon!

3. Hi ya
    I heared if you are OTT then you cannot go for GTP. Is that correct?
    Can someone clarify this?
    Thanks
    Priyanka