1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OTT/Second Trained. Chances of going long term in a primary school

Discussion in 'Primary' started by SoniaMaudslay, Jan 29, 2011.

1. SoniaMaudslay

SoniaMaudslay New commenter

Hello,
    I would like to hear your opinions, especially those that like me are OTT and secondary teachers that have successfully found a long term/perm position in a primary school.
    Yesterday I registered with an agency that just deals with long term/perm posts and I was told that my chances of getting a long term/perm in a primary school are very low, if not impossible has I am an OTT and a secondary teacher. Therefore I don't tick the boxes (to be british and UK primary trained) schools look for in a teacher.
    I've got more than a year of supply experience in primary schools, and feel very keen in settling down in a school teaching KS2.
    I would like to thank you in advanced for your advice.
    Supply Teacher

2. SoniaMaudslay

SoniaMaudslay New commenter

Hello,
    I would like to hear your opinions, especially those that like me are OTT and secondary teachers that have successfully found a long term/perm position in a primary school.
    Yesterday I registered with an agency that just deals with long term/perm posts and I was told that my chances of getting a long term/perm in a primary school are very low, if not impossible has I am an OTT and a secondary teacher. Therefore I don't tick the boxes (to be british and UK primary trained) schools look for in a teacher.
    I've got more than a year of supply experience in primary schools, and feel very keen in settling down in a school teaching KS2.
    I would like to thank you in advanced for your advice.
    Supply Teacher

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I don't think schools, whether primary or secondary, specifically look for someone who is British, but someone who has the training, experience and qualities they need. If you have QTS and experience in primary, you can certainly apply, just be aware that you are up against a multitude of primary TRAINED teachers who are currently scouring the country for posts!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Sorry, I'm afraid I agree. It's not a case of being British or not, in some cases being pf another ethnic origin is an advantage BUT there is a surplus of trained teachers in Primary & competition is tough. So if you have no experience in Primary I'd be surprised if you gain a long-term perm post.

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

My school averages 70 applications per post. I'm afraid you wouldn't get shortlisted. Sorry.
    The best way in is via supply.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

And people on here have been quoting 100 - 200 applications per post.

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Blimey. When I first qualified I remember getting a job and funding out afterwards that 120 had applied. I didn't think we'd ever see the same thing happening again. I haven't recruited anyone since May but if competition is as fierce as you say I doubt the OP stands a chance, to be honest.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yeps close to 100 per post here for classteacher posts, far less for leadership though.

A secondary trained teacher with only a year of supply in primary wouldn't get a look in for most posts. How do you show you have the skills and knowledge to teach long term? What do you know about assessment?Reporting?Planning?etc?

I'm secondary trained, but had spent 8 years in middle schools when I started to apply for primary posts. I still had the same obstacles to overcome, despite being rather more experienced than you. Took me 4 years of supply, with a one year maternity cover in the middle, to gain a permanent post. I relocated for love, so had little choice but to stick it out, but it was a disaster career wise.

I think you should be very pleased your agency are being up front and honest with you. Many will promise you the moon on a plate.