1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OTT QTS

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by ludapo, Feb 4, 2012.

1. I did receive a reply by email saying that they had no idea when it would be completed. I replied to that whinging that it was very important to me but I have heard nothing back from them. The unnamed person who sent me the email said that they were working through a lot of applications. No one had been trained up until the time that we sent the forms in. BUT on the union facebook page there have been people who have recieved the letter.
    It will come in a plain envelope so do not miss it.
    Hopefully,
    holly

2. jane_eh

jane_eh New commenter

I find it mildly amusing that they are taking so long. I was told not to bother enrolling in a course last year because they knew this was coming in but they don't bother to train anyone beforehand.
    I'd love to know how many applications can be processed in a week.
    It must be difficult initially because so many teachers currently teaching are probably in odd situations where they've been out of our countries for so long. After they sort us out I think it will be much easier for them as they get people as they arrive here.
    I just wish they'd hurry up with the April applications.

3. My letter has arrived!! So there you are.....

4. RPARSONS, I had to do the exact same thing... it's a pain in the backside but it seems to be the only way. Best of luck - and hassle WAE (or whatever they're called) if you don't hear from them quickly!

5. Hi Emily,

it does suck, but at least you should apply for assessmet-only QTS with exemption from induction - if you meet thestandard, you will skip your NQT year. This is what I did and it was fine!
    BTW, I still had to register with WACE and pay the full $250 fee to be accepted onto the OTT course.
    Best of luck.

6. hiya,
    well I have done the portfolio now and its been sent and the assessor is due to visit my school in a couple of weeks. Do you think I can still do the exemption from induction thing? I never knew about it so never asked previously. Do you have to do any work or can the assessor just decide when he sees the portfolio and comes for the day?
    argh! If i had known about that I would have applied for it. nothing is easy here....

7. forget that. just been told since im already doing the assessment based option to QTS I cant changed to the OTTP. so im set for an NQT year even though i graduated 5 years ago.... nothing like doing another one hey!

8. jane_eh

jane_eh New commenter

Does anybody have the number to ring to find out where my QTS reply is? I still have not heard anything.
    Thank you

9. I didn't receive a reply to my email from two weeks ago however, received my confirmation of qualified teacher status in the mail today!

Sent it mid April, date of recognition is 14th May, typed up on the 28th May and received it 12th June.

Scott

10. jane_eh

jane_eh New commenter

Thanks for your replies!
    Thanks Scott, I sent mine mid April too. I might wait till the end of the week and then ring. I thought the mail man must be skipping my house.

11. That is great news for you, Meeee. What letter or proof did you send in with your application? I'm wondering why yours was processed so quickly. I have had to register with the New Zealand Teachers Council. They sent me a letter confirming I am registered and am now awaiting the letter that the Teaching Agency stipulates we need to send in. Just wondering if I should just send in the confirmation letter from NZ or wait for the stipulated letter with all the information.

12. Even though I have not taught in NZ for more than 10 years, I have always kept up my registration with the Teaching Council. I then emailed them and cut and pasted the blurb from the UK Teaching Agency website that says exactly what they want the letter from NZ Teaching Council to state. The letter from NZ arrived in less than 2 weeks. When I phoned them they said they are familiar with the UK requirements and that they had done many letters already. I posted that letter in to the UK Teaching Agency and surprisingly there was no fee for the QTS certification. You should certainly wait for the letter from NZ as this is exactly what the Teaching Agency has asked for.

13. Thanks so much. I will wait for the letter and hopefully get QTS before the end of term. I have been offered my dream job but need QTS before I can take it up. Was your registration 'subject to confirmation'?

14. No, my current status in NZ is 'provisional'. I have previously had 'Full' status but this is not possible if you have not taught in NZ for a certain period of time (5years I think). Last time I returned to NZ I was observed teaching within the first 3 months and signed off as meeting the NZ registration criteria and then it was automatically updated back to full status. Subject to Confirmation status is usally for those still in their first 2 years of teaching - for beginning teachers. From what I understand you could NOT get QTS on this status as you would not have fully completed an initial teacher induction program. Good luck!

15. I was under the impression it was the other way around as I have done my induction and have had full status before. Never mind will just have to keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for your help.

16. You are correct! So sorry for the mix up about the status. Just double checked and have this line in a renewal email: Registration Subject to Confirmation expires after three years if no recommendation for full registration is made. I too have this status. Provisional status is for beginning teachers who have not yet completed the 2 year induction.

17. That's great news. Once again thanks for your help.

18. Morning,
    Has anyone else received their QTS confirmation lately? My application was received by the TA in the last week of May, it's been 4weeks now, I'm hoping to hear something soon!

19. jane_eh

jane_eh New commenter

I put mine in mid April and still have had no reply.... I am not sure why.

This is all the email I received on the 19th of June said.

...There has been a great amount of interest in this route into teaching which has created a backlog.

I can confirm we have received your application, we are waiting for information from NSW, we will be in touch soon regarding your QTS.

Hope this helps...

It didn't help. I think I must be the only person who sent it in in April to not receive a reply.

20. jane_eh

jane_eh New commenter

Ah! So I'm not the only one.

Reading other people's posts I don't think I am going to be successful - I just want the letter so I can then figure out what to do next.

I tried enrolling to do my QTS last year. It took two months of me contacting different people (starting with the OTP) before I was finally directed back to the OTP, where I started.

I was getting quite emotional at that stage and finally had someone from the Teachers line tell me the reason I was probably getting the run-around was because I would/should qualify for QTS in April.

I am just exhausted with it all.

Fingers crossed - Good luck