1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OTT MFL Spanish and Italian

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by Raquel25, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Dear all,
    I would really appreciate if someone could provide me with some information that could help me with my current situation.
    This is my second year as a Spanish Language Assistant teaching "Spanish Conversation" in an Independent School, here, in England.
    I studied both my five year degree course in English Literature and Linguistics (equivalent to BA Honours 2:1) and my postgraduate course in education (equivalent to PGCE) in Spain. Determined to become a teacher in the UK, I then got my QTS validated by the GTC for England in 2008.
    I have been applying for a number of vacancies as teacher of Spanish here in England, but I am not sure wether I should be applying as an NQT or QT. I emailed the TDA's Induction team to ask them about my situation and this was their answer: "A teacher from the EEA who has applied successfully to the General Teaching Council for England (GTCE) for QTS, or, a teacher from the EEA who has declared successfully to the GTCE to work in England on a temporary basis." Therefore if you meet the criteria above then you will be exempt from induction in England".
    The problem is that I feel I need that Induction Year to get some further experience within the British Education system. Also, I have the feeling that schools are not interested in someone holding a QTS Certificate but not having completed his/her probationary year.
    Any information will be greatly valued,
    Thank you.