1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Otium sine litteris mors est et hominis vivi sepultra

Discussion in 'Classics' started by RonPrice, Feb 24, 2012.

1. My second wife often
    complained, although grew to accept, that I devoted insufficient time to my
    marriage and to shared activity together. In my retirement this changed a
    little—for the positive—as we came to spend three or four hours together every
    day. It is perhaps a matter of personal
    taste whether one attributes my drive first as a student, then as a teacher and
    finally as a writer and as a Baha’i to personal ego or a genuine commitment to
    my various roles, roles to learn, to educate and inspire people about learning
    and to respond to the critical needs of our time.

Undoubtedly there were elements of all these motivations present at
    different stages of my life-span. Retirement also brought a greater element of
    control over my life. Parents, teachers, employers and students had a great
    deal to say about my life until about the age of sixty. Then the only person I
    had to please to any significant extent was my wife and, by the age of sixty, I
    had that worked out, if not entirely to her satisfaction, at least enough to
    provide the basis for a household harmony and tranquillity so that I could get
    on with what had become the passion of my life—writing and reading. As the poet
    Seneca wrote: Otium sine
    litteris mors est et hominis vivi sepultra: ~ Leisure without literature is
    death, or rather the burial of a living man.

----------Enough for now-----------------

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Specially as hardly a soul ever comes onto this forum anyway.

3. andromache

andromache New commenter

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Or if they do they leave again without posting anything.[​IMG]

5. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

Do you think we'll get a second episode?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Maybe Ron is too engrossed in literature or, failing that, has kicked the bucket.

7. andromache

andromache New commenter

sorry, if you look back you'll see i posted a full stop... i did write a comment but it wasn't very kind or helpful so i tried to delete it, but the final full stop was determined to stay on the page.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Ah! I see it now. I too have found it impossible to delete entire posts when one is using the edit facility.

9. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

Do you think Ron Price is a relative of Katie Price?

10. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Seems unlikely. He can read. Though maybe he's her uncle and the ghostwriter of her books. Who could say?

11. I visited and wasn't going to post but seeing as you don't seem to get many visitors I'll post a salve. I'm a French teacher lost in translation, but I did teach the first 3 pages of Caecilius and his family to my bottom set of Y9 yesterday as I've reached the limit of their French abilities. They coped quite well but did think the Romans were in Britain about 500 years ago. That's bottom sets for you!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Is that a balm or a greeting?

13. Xericist

Xericist New commenter

???????? ????? ?i????????? ????? ? ??????? ??? ? ???? ???? ????????. Apologies, I couldn't resist that.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

So now I can't resist pointing out that you have a superfluous sigma in the first word and a superfluous iota in the third.

15. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Are you the SI unit?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Whom are you asking?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I am adding a post to this thread in honour of the fact that it has 21 posts on it already which is truly amazing for a thread on this neglected forum.