1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

other teacher sites you can recommend?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by jonowen, Feb 10, 2016.

1. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

I am calling it a day with the TES site for a number of reasons
    • it refuses to remember my log-in details
    • the "private message" has disappeared (is that now called "conversations? I don't feel it's as private as the PM system)
    • there are fewer Scottish sites
    • just the overall look of it is unattractive (just my opinion I know, maybe it's just me?)
    I am in a remote school and enjoy the banter of what other teachers think , do, ask advice etc...etc...but yesterday, for instance, I wrote a lengthy message to another poster, got to the end of it and was faced with "do you want to invite others to your conversation?" eh,.....no, I thought that was the point of a PRIVATE message, the main boards are where I invite others to share things with me. So guys, are there any other teacher-sites you know of ? There used to be ETeach, which was very good, then TES came along and was better in its infancy, but sadly no more; there have been many changes with TES (as you are aware) and each one has been a little bit worse.

o_O

2. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hello @jonowen,

Sorry to hear that you are leaving the Community and that you have had issues logging in to the site.

The option at the end of the conversation is just that. The conversation is the term used for private messages on this new platform. The message will only be sent to the person you have started a conversation with unless you tick the option box to invite more people to participate.

The forums were reduced because some members found it difficult to navigate the site and the scaled down version was created to help make the site more user-friendly.

The platform and software make it easier to create new forums and sub-forums so if the demand is there new fora can be introduced.

I do hope that you will reconsider your decision, but I understand your concerns.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You would still just have been inviting another few (up to six in total) chosen individuals to the PM - it wouldn't have been public.

I quite like Twitter for teaching chat but it takes a while to build up people you want to follow and it's harder to follow a conversation there. I've not found another forum - there is a staffroom on Mumsnet.

4. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Thanks both.

5. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Jon, no need to call it a day. Just float in and out as you want. I gave up a few years ago because I was spending far too much time on here (dispensing advice, as you know :)). I should have just kept the original account going and, as I've just advised your good self, just floated in and out.

You do highlight a number of relevant points about the forums however. In summary, the forum's organisation is now flimsier than before.

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

The conversations are the same as the PMs.
    We still have 4 Scottish fora,how many do you want? How many did you ever post on?
    You soon get used to the new look.

7. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

You're welcome @jonowen.

8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I think they're actually on an upward trend. Things aren't perfect but at least we've got a bit of continuity with the moderation/admin team and this new system is better than the last "update".

9. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

is there a facebook page for your subject? There is for mine, it is subject specific without the frills of tes.

10. SparkyTeaching

SparkyTeaching New commenter

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016