1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Other Supply Teachers who ignore you

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by supplybychoice, Feb 25, 2016.

1. supplybychoice

supplybychoice New commenter

There is a local supply teacher who really annoys me.

Whenever I work in a school she is working in she seems to ignore all other supply teachers. She pretends she is a permanent teacher and sits with them and behaves like she has worked at the school for years.

Most supply teachers are friendly and supportive of each other but she couldn't give a toss.

2. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Whenever I have met other supply teachers, we tend to cry on each others' shoulders about our experiences at the hands of rapacious agencies and duplicitous schools. Our 'misery making us strange bedfellows'.

emmalcm1 and PizzoCalabro like this.
  3. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

It doesn't matter where you work, either in education or business, there is always a lot of office politics. Many people work their passage by making their face fit. Some would call it ingratiating, others would call it being polite.
    Those are the rules of the game whether we like it or not. You have to sell yourself and get other staff to like you.
    Many of the successful people I know got ahead by a charm offensive. Small talk, compliments, flattery, birthday cards, cupcakes, smiles, agreeing with everyone, bland niceness, exuding well-rehearsed sincerity, ray of sunshine cheerfulness in adversity and all that Princess Diana stuff. It works. People like shiny surfaces.
    There is no meritocracy. You have to do whatever it takes. This person has so little to gain actually, I don't know why you let this person's petty aspirations get to you. At best they'll get a lowly job in some provincial exam factory school. It's a lot of effort and a lot of front to keep up on the off-chance.
    She'll find a weak leader who likes to surround themselves with yes men and they're welcome to each other.
    When I first appeared on this forum with my ingratitude and cynicism I was repeatedly slammed by the Pollyanna brigade. Now, even though thousands more people are aware of the agency trap, those who are not caught in it still have an "I'm all right, Jack" attitude to those of us who protest against it.

FredWelsh34 likes this.
  4. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

Why do you care? Like Jolly Roger, I enjoy the camaraderie and Blitz spirit of being ion schools when there are other supply teachers there. One has become a RL good friend after we met so often on the local supply circuit.

5. emmalcm1

emmalcm1 Established commenter

I wouldn't let it worry you, it's her who is missing out. I find it sort of therapeutic to speak to others in the same boat and have got to know other supply staff who do the rounds in the schools I go to. I also try to mix with perm staff (in my regular schools I have got to know some of them well) and to speak to new supply staff because I've been the 'invisible supply teacher' in the staff room on occasion and it's not a nice experience. Generally speaking I think people who interact with other staff will have a far more pleasant day.

6. FredWelsh34

FredWelsh34 New commenter

I agree with Nearmiss
    In all spheres of work or any voluntary organisation for that matter, meritocracy is fairly redundant. People love 'shiny surfaces' and if anyone is not within this bracket it is hard to get work, maintain work or be successful with colleagues.
    It's an unfortunate situation that you cannot just go to work, do a good job, keep to yourself and go home.
    It seems this said mentioned supply teacher is very tuned in to how to get ahead and play the system.

7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

When I go into a school, I don't care if the staff are permanent or supply - I try to treat everyone the same. Sometimes I might sit with the permanent staff in the staff room if they invite me or I might sit with other supply teachers if there any about. I sometimes give compliments to people if I like what they are wearing and I have also received compliments. Being kind to people is the oil that makes the day go smoother and I often find of I sow a kindness I might reap a kindness ; maybe from a different person. Than the on I helped.

Life is way too short to worry about such a thing as who is sitting with who. Find someone who might need a kind word and an encouragement and sit with them. Don't underestimate the power of kindness.

8. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

I have to be honest never met a supply teacher who as ignored me and I would be shocked if I did because we need to keep together to support each other and to share tales of woe.

9. emmalcm1

emmalcm1 Established commenter

Couldn't agree more Pepper. I think a bit of kindness is sometimes the only thing that makes a bad day bearable! I have worked in schools where the behaviour was so challenging that I think the only thing keeping me going was the kindness of those working there.

Alice1965 and pepper5 like this.
  10. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

She is clearly not a very bright supply teacher and doing you a favor by ignoring you.

Whenever I meet another supply I am keen to find out who they are working for, can they recommend their agency and what schools they have been to with their opinions of each. Likewise I am very happy to share any information I have with them.

This lady could end up looking for another placement next week so its a smart move to be aware of whats going on.

I find now that I know most of the supplies currently working in my area and its good to have a catch up.

Alice1965 likes this.
  11. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

I really wouldn't worry about it. What difference does it make? The beauty of supply is that you are not the regular employee and what others do should make no difference to you because you don't ever have to go back or even mingle with the people there. However, someone else already summed it up that she could very well be looking for another placement the very next day. In this climate, NOTHING is for certain and people like her always come down...eventually.

PizzoCalabro likes this.
  12. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

And besides, we all like you

Alice1965 likes this.
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I usually found that other supply teachers were keen to chat when you came across them (this often applies to the CSs too). At one school I did a number of days in there were usually the same three supplies in (we could cope - therefore we got the work) so it was quite social at lunchtime.

I'm noticing far fewer supplies around these days though - our "regular" supply teacher has hardly been in at all recently.

14. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

As I said above, in my experience, we supply teachers tend to stick together, and we all get on well whenever we meet, which is more likely to be in Lidl on a Monday morning, than in a school, these days.

Alice1965 likes this.