1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Other SEN qualifications..?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by fuzzycat, Mar 10, 2020.

1. fuzzycat

fuzzycat New commenter

I’ve been teaching ten years, currently in a non-teaching role dealing with behaviour and inclusion. I’d love to be a SENCO but no chance of doing the National Award in my current school as they already have a SENCO. A couple of jobs have come up that I’d love to apply for - some specify that you need an SEN qualification, but the NASENDCo is under ‘desirable’ rather than essential, so presumably it doesn’t have to be that. Is it worth my doing a lower-level Sen qualification (eg a level 3 certificate in Learning Support or SpLD) to show that I’m really serious about this? Some of them are about £10 and probably aren’t worth the paper they’re written on, others are £100-400 and I’m wondering if it’s worth doing one, and if so, which.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Re knowledge . Any twilight sessions you could attend to tackle the theory upon which your practice may be based ? My school funded me to complete @ University - assignments led to the qualification but attending showed commitment to SEND related CPD. You say you are ' dealing ' with inclusion / behaviour. The SENDCo role is very much about leading and managing provision so important that you demonstrate these skills in any letter of application. Important also to evidence how your routine teaching has impacted successfully ( track record ) on the " performance ' of students with a range of SEND - for me that is non negociable. Could / would the SENDCo in your setting give you some responsibilty / steering group to chair ? Look at the SENDCo standards. This may help you in drilling down what the ' generic ' responsibilities are - don't forget though that this is a list - it's the outcome of those actions which are key.

3. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I've heard some SENcos (didn't have the D then) were not qualified at all, that the role was just given to any teacher, but whether that would happen now, I don't know-could you arrange a meeting with your line manager to express your career ambitions, and ask for any guidance?

4. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Would your school consider you doing the qualifications as part of “succession planning” in case the current sendco moves on or is ill?maybe worth a try as part of your performance management?

teachSheffield likes this.