1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Other job routes/choices after a PGCE ?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by carriecat10, Jun 28, 2012.

1. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

I'm not sure about other career options. Your PGCE qualification is specifically to enable you to teach, although you could argue that prospective employers might view this as a reflection of particular skills which could be transferred.
    Whether you stick at trying to get a teaching job will depend on how passionate you are about following this as a career. If you do not pursue teaching now, you will find it much harder to get back into again in the future.
    Jobs are hard to come by but you might consider another job such as working as a TA initially as a way of getting into school if you don't think supply is an option. You might feel this is paying you poorly for the skills you have, but it would be a good way to consolidate and build on your skills and for you to get a foot in the door.
    Carrie [​IMG]

2. Thanks for your response Carrie. I kept going and was offered a year one post last week! I am really pleased and very excited!

3. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

Well done ... that is a great achievement. Good luck next year.
    Carrie [​IMG]

4. Hi guys, I am in a similar predicament - I am still training to be a Primary teacher and I am looking forward to completing my NQT in London, however I do really desire to work abroad one day - does any one have any ideas of how you can utilise your PGCE with working abroad?

Any suggestions would be great!