1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ostracising as a Bullying Tactic

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Vampyria, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Vampyria

Vampyria New commenter

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'd always assumed ostracising/ignoring someone at work was potentially bullying. Although as always it depends on the specific facts of what's going on.

In fairness to the ancient Greeks it's only the word 'ostracise' that originates from them, not bullying. (Ostracism in ancient Athens was to expel someone from the city altogether by a popular/democratic vote, normally those seen to be potential tyrants or threats to the city state).

3. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Good to see you here, vampyria. xx

4. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Ostracism is often 'engineered' by management. By its behaviour towards the victim, those around them soon become aware that he or she is on the 'hit list', and give them a wide birth, lest they become 'incriminated' by association.

5. My HT had a huge problem with me this year, based on a personal issue, They were unable to do anything to me formally as my work and workplace behavior was impeccable (I was aware they were "gunning" for me and have tied myself up in knots to ensure they had nothing to "get" me for). But slowly over the year, with little comments and things the staff as a whole realised i was certainly "Not favourite" and gradually just began to distance themselves. I can testify that this is indeed a very hurtful form of bullying, whether intentional or not. Luckily for me HR saw it the same way and has intervened.