1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OSP minus on payslip

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Kagel, May 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Kagel

Kagel New commenter

Hi all,

I’m hoping someone can help! It’s payday and my wages are over £500 down. I’ve checked my payslip and there’s an OSP minus of over 900 before tax.

I have noon off work for 7 weeks following major surgery. It was meant to be keyhole and I was only going to be off for a couple of days but when I came round in recovery I found they had had to do major surgery.

I have only been teaching in this school since September but it is an LA school and I have been teaching 20 years.

Can they do this?

Thanks in advance!

2. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Have you asked them about it?

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If you have worked in LA schools for part of at least 4 different sick pay years (April - March) then you are entitled to 100 days sick pay at full pay. However, your school may either not know this or the HR side have not cottoned on about your past experience. Step one - query it with the school, pointing out your eligibility for sick pay. If necessary, download the Burgundy Book and show them the relevant section. Step two - if this does not get instant results, get your union on the case.

If your previous teaching experience was not under Burgundy Book conditions, then the school may well be right, as you would only have 25 days at full pay and 25 at half.