1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OSCA 2

Discussion in 'Music' started by thin lizzie, Jan 16, 2012.

1. thin lizzie

thin lizzie New commenter

I'm doing the OSCA 2 when the window opens this week. I didn't attempt it last year (my first year on BTEC) and it says in the documentation to allow up to 5 hours to complete it on line.
    Has anybody been given any time in school to complete this or do you all do this in your own time. With young family and zillions of assignments to mark, Y11's to push etc.. I'm worried I won't be able to give it my full attention.
    Should I ask the Head for a lesson or two to complete?
    Any advice welcome. Thanks.

2. It didnt take me anywhere near 5 hours in November to do it. You can also print all the stuff off and do it in bits then just input the data once you have completed. It's not an onerous task and the questions are all multiple choice.
    Good luck!

3. TrueFaith

TrueFaith New commenter

I've done OSCA2 for the last two years in different schools (passed both times, just needed a bump up to level three this year!), and got a day off timetable in my last school, but nothing here.

I would have thought there was no harm in asking...

4. thin lizzie

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping that you would tell me it doesn't take 5 hours! I think I'll download the papers tomorrow, then see after the weekend, how much time I'll need. It won't hurt to ask for a few lessons off.

5. TrueFaith

TrueFaith New commenter

It probably took me about five hours, but I spent a good hour on each of the units in the first instance as soon as I downloaded, then dipped in and out over the rest of the window.

The inputting takes no more than a few minutes.

Make sure you have a good look at the SSV commentary from the practice materials, as if you're lucky some of the questions asked in the assessment will be similar to (or indeed the same as) those you get the answers to.

I think it's somewhat moot as next year it looks like we're reverting back to the old system.

6. I too am taking OSCA.

Can I ask those that have passed, did you fill in anything in the comments section?

7. thin lizzie

Just to let you know, I have asked and I been given 2 lessons off next to a non-contact, so a 3 hour block in total. That should get me a good start on it. Thanks for your advise. I'll make a sure I do the practice papers first and check out the ssv commentary. Good luck to everyone else doing OSCA 2!

8. TrueFaith

TrueFaith New commenter

Great news Thin Lizzie...

I haven't ever put anything in the comments section. I believe it's neither read nor taken into account when the assessment exercises are marked.

My print outs of the questions and other materials are covered in comments, so if you're not printing out, it may help you...