1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Osca 2 for BTEC IT

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by coxone2, Nov 12, 2010.

1. I have been grappling with the training materials for the Osca 2 process for Lead Internal Verifiers and have found the process really difficult especially as the questions seem particularly vague and I am sure I have found some errors. I am really worried that if I sit the online test based on my performance with the practice materials I will fail. Any advice or tips would be really useful. Thanks

2. I too have the joy of going through OSCA2!
    Am I correct in thinking that for the actual assessment you can look at questions, go away and do your research and then go back and answer.
    It would appear that when you press SAVE that is it, even if you have answered 1 question so providing you enter all your questions in 1 go you can go in as many times as you want to beforehand.
    Apart form the window of 3 weeks there is no deadline.
    I have only been looking at it this week so any advice would be great.

3. Having now spent the whole day completing OSCA assessment training I am convinced there are several errors and inconsistencies.
    One example is Unit 3 Level 2 where components of computer system have to be identified but apparently it is OK without any mention of software. I have been on Edexcel site and had a reply saying SW is required for this!
    There are at least 3 other errors I can find.
    Please help - not sure what to do now. Supposed to be starting assessment on Monday!

4. Hi both,
    In my role as ICT Subject Advisor at Edexcel I support the delivery of BTECs in IT.
    I have recently sent a couple of e-updates on the OSCA2 and LIV standardisation process which you might find useful. I have another going out later this week.
    If you don't get these updates you can sign up by sending an email to ICTSubjectAdvisor@EdexcelExperts.co.uk
    You can also contact me directly with questions about the standardisation process and I will be happy to help.
    Regards
    Gareth

5. Hi
    It is the errors in the training materials that I find the most worrying because I am now viewing the actual assessment material with similar caution.
    I have completed the first set of questions relating to the assignment brief and it took me about 3 hours ...there are still a number of questions I am not happy about:
    e.g. A7 Is the number of grading criteria assessed in this assignment
    too few about right too many

Having already stated that the timescale is too short in A2 do I therefore state that there are too many criteria. Given a longer timescale I would probably say that the amount of criteria is about right. I cannot find any guidance about the number of grading criteria in any one assessment.

6. I would not share questions from actual assessment materials (especially on public forum) as these are supposed to be for your eyes only.

7. Hope you passed. It was the same in science. Lots of errors in their materials and very vague questions. My fears over being able to correctly answer some rather subjective questions were confirmed today when I had an email saying I had not achieved OSCA 2.

After going through their SSV commentary I can say I am delighted to have failed as my disagreement with their answers and reasoning means I am a teacher of consistency and common sense, something their verifiers are clearly lacking in.

8. yeah, i failed too. the 3 teachers i know that took the test failed - the only one that passed took the level 2 food test. i don't think it's a good way to test IVs - but maybe i'm just bitter.
    next step i think is for someone from edexcel to check through my IV documentation at school - which i think is what they should have just done in the first place.

9. Idid the OSCA2 for Sport at Level 3 and failed. I have emailled Edexcel with my complaints about the terrible exam but been pretty much shot down. Intrigued though that it says the exam should not be shared with others yet the Certificate of Passing received by one person I know said 'Well done to your and your colleagues'!

Maybe Edexcel need to be standardised