1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Osama Bin Laden

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Freddie92, May 2, 2011.

1. Freddie92

Freddie92 New commenter

Any thoughts on the news earlier today? Has this just ensured Barack Obama will be re-elected a year in November? Or is that too cynical?

2. Freddie92

Freddie92 New commenter

Any thoughts on the news earlier today? Has this just ensured Barack Obama will be re-elected a year in November? Or is that too cynical?

3. Am I the only person for who, on hearing OBL had been buried at Sea off a US aircraft carrier, the first word to come to mind was...."catapult" ?.

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

5. A special cell in Guantanamo Bay? We may never know the truth. I'm already finding it difficult to believe anything the Americans say -
    To quote Obama " .....I directed Leon Panetta, the director of the CIA, to make the killing or capture of Bin Laden the top priority...."
    To quote the ABC News "....After this first shot........ he was shot again, to make sure that he was dead."
    To my mind, that second shot makes Obama's 'capture' reference slightly farcical.

6. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

The guy is dead.
    Of course there will be stories growing arms and legs but the world is well rid of him. None of us were there so nobody knows the true facts.

7. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual New commenter

The repercussions of the deed remain to be seen, but post-mortem triumphalism leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

8. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

absolutely

9. Well, if you say this kind of thing in your speech telling the world that you killed bin Laden, I would say yes, you should expect to be held to a higher standard.
    "...today's achievement is a
    testament to the greatness of our country and the determination of the
    American people.

"The cause of securing our country is not complete. But tonight, we are
    once again reminded that America can do whatever we set our mind to. That is
    the story of our history, whether it's the pursuit of prosperity for our
    people, or the struggle for equality for all our citizens; our commitment to
    stand up for our values abroad, and our sacrifices to make the world a safer
    place.

"Let us remember that we can do these things not just because of wealth
    or power, but because of who we are: one nation, under God, indivisible,
    with liberty and justice for all.

10. xmal

xmal Occasional commenter

A rather romanticised view there of Mandela who led the armed wing of the ANC in a bloody campaign.