1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ort - what level are they ?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by firecracker, Dec 1, 2008.

1. firecracker

firecracker New commenter

Hello,

Does anyone know if the ORT stages are linked to a reading level - for example if in year 1 term 1 they should be on stage 3 ( from the ORT website) are they a 1c ? if so what do the other stages relate to ?

Sorry if it doesn't make sense !

FC

2. I'm afraid it's not as simple as that. Have you seen the book 'book bands for guided reading'.This book gives detailsof a range of schemes and grades them. When you look in there ORT is all over the place. Within one stage of ORT you will find a range of 3 different book band levels.

My book band book is in school but if you want me to have a look tomorrow let me know. I can give you a few titles that are level 1c.

3. If you can post your e-mail address ( or send me a PM) I can send you the ORT bookbanding list that gives you books in each colour and levels that go with them

4. Here is an idea - very broadly speaking because, as a previous poster stated, some ORT levels span 2 or 3 book bands:

ORT Stage 4
    3c ORT Stage 11

5. [​IMG] Did not type it out like that! Will try again:

ORT Stage 4

ORT Stage 5

ORT Stage 6

2c ORT Stage 7 and 8

2b ORT Stage 9

2a ORT Stage 10

3c ORT Stage 11

6. queenlit

queenlit New commenter

7. firecracker

firecracker New commenter

thanks for all your replies !

I've seen the book band colours but I don't understand what the colours mean ! Do they relate to a level ? (sorry being abit thick !!)

fc

8. The bookband colours relate to a progression in difficulty through the reading scheme. Unfortunately books in the same stage in ORT are not at the same level of difficulty- for example New Trainers ( which is Stage 2) and Poor Mum ( which is Stage 4) are both in book band yellow! The new phonic based books are all clearly banded with the colour on them, for the others you should really band each book into the appropriate colour and the children should progress by bookband colour rather than by stage. But it's a big job!

Hope this makes sense!

9. queenlit

queenlit New commenter

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">The Book Band colours are -</font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">foundation - W - pink</font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Foundation - W - red</font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">1c - yellow</font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">1c/1b - blue</font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">1b - green</font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">1b/1a - orange</font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">1a - turquoise</font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">2c - purple</font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">2b - gold</font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">2a - white</font>

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">3c - lime</font>

10. karentee

karentee New commenter

That looks really useful, we don't band our books, to those of you who do, is it something that you would recommend?

11. Definitely, although as i said, it can be a big job as each book has to be banded individually, you can't just say "Oh it's a stage 4 so it must be X colour" I have banded all our reading scheme books and it has made a noticable improvement. Children can now choose any book within their "colourband" which leads to increasing independence. You can be secure that they progress through books of increasing difficulty. You have to inform parents what you are doing though, several complained that their child was going "backwards" and didn't understand that the level of difficulty was increasing even though they might still be on the same stage or set

12. I would like to band our books according to the NC levels 1c/1b etc with a letter indicating E, M H = relating to where they are in that level.

I am moved into KS1 and the reading scheme is a mess, especially complicated by ORT who'se colours do not match the NC levels in any way (exc orange) and they have 2 greens to make it more interesting...

I am trying to create a comparison list so when me and the new Year 1 teacher re do this, we will have a reading scheme that works!

Currently within each level the books are far to easy or hard. Which does not build on the children's skills or confidence.

My aim for a NC leveled proper book scheme would also allow parents to see where they children's reading actually is. With a big parental explaniation that reading isn't just about word decoding, its about comprehension and inference too. This would ideally be explained each year aat KS parental info evenings.

ideal world and all that, I know!
    [edited by: corner_thatch at 11:41 (GMT 0) on 1-10-2011]
    Have found this! http://www.oup.com/oxed/pdf/ORT_bookbands.pdf
    Just need more of these now...
    Thanks to all for reading

If anyone has anything that relates to old books and NC levels please shout, we have sunshine books, and other old scheme books, as its not had input for ages.
    Or if any school is getting rid of old books - we have almost nothing at the W/1c it seems!