1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ORT Key words, children don't know them. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shelia, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Hi
    I teach P2 and our school uses ORT to teach reading in the infant classes. I know lots of schools don't use this anymore but we do and must stick to it. I have a poor ability group and they have been on key stage 3 for 6 months last year and are now onto more stories. They just don't know the key words. I have only had them for 3 weeks but I am running out of ideas to teach them the words. Any ideas that I could try? We have looked at the words and sounds, we have used active learning to try and improve them but still nothing.
    Any ideas or suggestions would be great.
    Thanks xx

2. Hi
    I teach P2 and our school uses ORT to teach reading in the infant classes. I know lots of schools don't use this anymore but we do and must stick to it. I have a poor ability group and they have been on key stage 3 for 6 months last year and are now onto more stories. They just don't know the key words. I have only had them for 3 weeks but I am running out of ideas to teach them the words. Any ideas that I could try? We have looked at the words and sounds, we have used active learning to try and improve them but still nothing.
    Any ideas or suggestions would be great.
    Thanks xx

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Sorry I don't understand. If they can't read how have they progressed through the reading scheme?

4. Exactly, I've just got them as a new class. The last teacher said they were finishing key stage 3. But I assessed them on their key words for all of key stage 3 books that they are suppose to know and they don't know them. I have been advised to put them on more stories but its a real struggle. They are just not engaged and find all the words too hard. They know all key stage 2 words. X

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

My suggestion would be to assess them on the books rather than a list of random words.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Discuss with the children that the books seem to be too hard and ask them if they would like to read the stage three ones again to remind themselves of all the words. Bet you anything you like they will say yes.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/157471533X/ref=oss_product

the book above has lots of fabulous ideas to teach and practise words, recognition and spelling.

7. If your class has been taught on only the original ORT books, perhaps that is part of the problem.
    OUP is now giving the clear message that the ORT reading scheme 'starts with' a synthetic phonics teaching approach - in recognition of the prevailing results from research on reading, best classroom practice and the parliamentary review of reading and the Rose Report.
    If the dominant teaching for reading instruction has focused on learning lists of key words and not a synthetic phonics approach, this could explain the children (or some of them) struggling with new vocabulary.