1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Ornamental" bay tree - really?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lemonsqueeezy, Jun 19, 2011.

1. My kids have bought their dad a father's day bay tree, but we've only just read the label and it says not for consumption. Really? Isn't a bay tree just a bay tree?

2. My kids have bought their dad a father's day bay tree, but we've only just read the label and it says not for consumption. Really? Isn't a bay tree just a bay tree?

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

It may have been sprayed with something which is poisonous.

4. There are just ornamental versions.
    If you crush a leaf, it should smell of bay if it is the edible version. If not, it will smell of nothing.
    If there is a Latin term on the label, the edible version is called Laurus Nobilis.
    The ornamental ones are normally cherry laurel, which is poisonous (Prunus Laurocerasus).

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I find dried bay leaves better flavour.

6. Well it says Laurus Nobilis, so it should be ok to eat.
    It was on special from aldi (can't find a link to it though). I'll give the leaves a good clean first...

very petty to look at though - a nice twirly trunk!

7. They do - but if you leave the fresh leaves to "wilt" for a day or two they are ok.
    If it says Nobilis, lemony - it is edible [​IMG]

8. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Out of interest, when I ordered some from Tesco recently I was astonished at the low cost. 35p a packet and a two for one offer. There's loads of them in the packet.
    I looked for them on their website to have a go at a Jamie Oliver recipe for bay salt prawns. http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/seafood-recipes/bay-salt-prawn-skewers-with-summer-veg
    and here's him cooking it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEWgtUc2x2A
    Sadly it was p!ssing down on the day I intended to cook it and did something vaugely similar with the prawns in the oven instead.