1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Original Maths grouping names to hopefully inspire...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by daisymay8, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Hi everyone
    Just wondered if anyone had any good ideas for maths group names, i want something different which will hopefully give children a boost from the long break.
    Any ideas would be great, thankyou
    Daisy
    xxx

2. Hi, i usually give names to my groups that link with the topic im doing so for example when i had a under the sea theme they would be characters from Finding Nemo. I hope this helps

3. Oh thank you, thats a good idea and cross curricular! I'll have a think about our themes.

4. Anyone else got any ideas?

5. Leicester_Vics

Leicester_Vics New commenter

If it's maths groups why not name them after famous mathematicians. The kids couldthen research what they did. They love finding things out and especially when it isn't really something covered by the primary curriculum.

Pythagorus
    Archimedes
    Fibonacci
    Descartes
    Pascal

6. Thanks Leicester - what a good idea. :)

7. Anyone else?

8. Hi, i'm in yr5 and i'm going to use different triangles
    scalene, isosceles, right angle, equalateral
    Last year I used polygons; octagon, hexagon, pentagon, nonogon
    Hope this helps
    Dee xx

9. Love it Dee! Very maths orientated and advanced vocabulary, im in Year 5 as well and sometimes i think some names can be a little young for them but the triangles idea is brill, thank you very much for your suggestion.
    Daisy
    xx

10. No probs,
    I have struggled this year as have 10 of the same children, had my 12 year old daughter thinking of names for me. Also thought about angles

11. They have there uses! I have struggled this year too but thats because i like something different and original- not the norm!
    Thanks again

12. How about using lines: oblique, slant, diagonal, tranverse, sloping?

13. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

I've managed for the last twenty odd years without using any group names at all!

14. Last year I called my groups Primes, Decimals, Multiples, Squares and Factors and encouraged them to find out what all the different terms meant.
    I'm still trying to decide whether to have 5 groups of 6-8 or to have 2 tables of 11 and 2 tables of 7. Can see advantages both ways!