1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Orient Express

Discussion in 'Personal' started by angiebabe, Apr 21, 2012.

1. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Has anyone been on the Orient Express (in this country)? I am due to go on a trip in May - Orient Express, Chelsea Flower Show, Orient Express home.
    I really have no idea what to expect. Would love to hear from anyone who has done a similar trip. Want to plan outfit, shoes, BAG (for filling with 'stuff' from Chelsea) etc.

2. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Has anyone been on the Orient Express (in this country)? I am due to go on a trip in May - Orient Express, Chelsea Flower Show, Orient Express home.
    I really have no idea what to expect. Would love to hear from anyone who has done a similar trip. Want to plan outfit, shoes, BAG (for filling with 'stuff' from Chelsea) etc.

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I won a trip on the Orient Express for a friend of mine and she loved it. Afraid I've no details to help you though xx

4. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

If it was me, I'd have to go with sensible walking shoes, a wad of plastic carrier bags and a shopping trolley, but that might not be the elegance and charm thing you're after?

5. When I travelled on the Orient Express it was noisy, hot, overcrowded and late....

...it was murder. :¬))

6. Doh! [​IMG]

Angie - I love the thought of travelling on the Orient Express. The glamour of it all appeals to me and by rights you should wear either a flapperish dress with cloche hat and thick white stockings and buckled shoes...or a sleek strapless evening gown, and carry a long gigarette holder, wear lots of jewelery and have smokey eyes and bright red lips.....
    Not suitable for Chelsea Flower Show I hear you say....? [​IMG]
    We do lots of flower/garden shows and the most important thing, as has been mentioned, is comfy footwear. Yes, you'll also need a stash of bags. (The train journey back will be very different I expect and cluttered with bags of plants etc!)
    For the train I'd wear something smart but summery...perhaps a pretty summer dress which you accentuate with jewellery and a nice (big) bag.....Your shoes (comfy and sensible ones) will be hidden under the tables anyway....Make your hands look glam perhaps...painted nails and rings....because yes, a journey on the Orient Express is about entering into the experience..
    Mainly comfy shoes though ...[​IMG]
    Have fun Angie and let us know what it was like afterwards

7. hee hee....can you get me Titmarsh's autograph ?

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I've done the full trip to Venice from London Victoria AND in the other direction from Venice back to London.
    Very expensive, but fantastic and I'd do it again.

9. *glows with envy*
    I dream of doing that Middlemarch.
    OH has asked what I want for my 60th birthday in a few years time. (I have just splashed out - or taken advantage of not having to pay council tax for the last two months - to give him a lovely birthday trip away and 'surprise' family party...) He said at the time he'd be hard pressed to better that when my time came....
    Ahem..... [​IMG] *evil grin*

10. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Yes comfy shoes a must but also want to look chic! Its the whole bag thing that concerns me the most. I know I'm going to want to buy lots of stuff and I'm not sure what I will be able to come back with on the Orient Express, can't see them letting me on with a load of Tesco bags!!!!!

11. Oh no Angie - far too downmarket!
    Thinking about flower/garden shows....you really need to be hands free, so do you have a chic little bag that you could wear across your body...to hold purse, cards, glasses etc? Keep an eye on your purse - these events are packed.
    You'd need a big shopping bag of sorts..a tote or something. (I have a wheely trolley thingy....it's a long day!) Perhaps the best plan would be to NOT buy plants...because they are difficult to lug about if they are bushy. Even if you leave them in the plant creche you'll probabaly have a bit of a walk to get back to the train/bus connection. Decide just to buy small novelty bits and pieces that you need rather than plants and enjoy the flowers and experience? Plants cost three times as much as you'll pay for them at your local garden centre probably. Get seeds...a reminder of a lovely day out when they grow and bloom? Saves all the lugging problems! You'll remain chic and elegant all day long, whilst others are struggling with big bags. [​IMG]
    I bet that you'll all fall asleep on the train ride home too. These things can be exhausting! No need to worry what you look like on the return journey...just enjoy the champers [​IMG]

12. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Thanks AE. Yes I think you are right, had already decided not to indulge in my plant fetish - you should see me on the last day of the local flower show when they are selling off everything, I cannot resist a bargain!
    Its those 'must have' bargains that I need to be on my guard against - last year it was a Mandolin type gadget with lots of accessories. When I got home the accessory I was so excited about was not in the box and I have never been able to accomplish what the salesmen did with the veggies.
    You are right about it being a long day, we have to be at the train station at 6am and wont be back until midnight. My daughter and I are going to stay at a hotel very near the station for the night before and the night after, so it will be a lovely girlie couple of days.

13. Isn't it Venice Simpleton to to to flower show on the Orient Express in a day?

14. Thought you had taken your leave of this site?

15. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I was a bit bemused by 'huevosrancheros' posting - but thanks funnyandfree - no need to explain, thanks.