1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

organising year one !!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by smellybelly, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Could really do with some advice (trying to remain calm and not let this completely over take the rest of my precious holidays), I am moving from upper key stage 2 to year one in a very small school, I feel a little deskilled and am struggling to work out how best to organise my classroom and the school day - the school is pretty traditional and very much influenced and led by ks2 - do other year one teachers teach literacy and maths as whole class and then organise different activities linked to the main teaching or use continual provision to organise the whole school day... i would really appreciate examples of timetables, anything really ....thanks in advance for any help

2. Could really do with some advice (trying to remain calm and not let this completely over take the rest of my precious holidays), I am moving from upper key stage 2 to year one in a very small school, I feel a little deskilled and am struggling to work out how best to organise my classroom and the school day - the school is pretty traditional and very much influenced and led by ks2 - do other year one teachers teach literacy and maths as whole class and then organise different activities linked to the main teaching or use continual provision to organise the whole school day... i would really appreciate examples of timetables, anything really ....thanks in advance for any help

3. Hello. I know that my school are changing their approach to literacy lessons in year 1 from this year - they will be having proper english lessons 3 days a week and 2 days doing the read write ink phonics scheme. Lit and Maths are always only taught in the morning. They will also be introducing some sort of guided reading sessions as well. Hope this helps a bit.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Our Y1 class runs very much like reception although more activities are adult initiated (although children still have the choice of those they choose)

5. We are making changes to Year 1 from September and have organised the classroom to incorporate a range of areas of learning as in the EYFS.
    I have drafted a proposed timetable for the Y1 teacher (I am the EYFS/ KS1 leader) which we are going to trial and then change as needed. We expect that this will change greatly by the end of the year as we prepare the children for year 2.
    In Sept the plan is;
    At the start of the day the children will participate in a short focused Literacy session (15-20mins) and then go to independent activities which will have been planned to help children develop and extend skills across the curriculum. During this activity time the teacher and teaching assistant will each work with a focused group on reading and writing activities (sometimes they will work woth more than 1 group in a session depending on the task). This will mean that across the week each child had recieved at least 2 focused literacy activities with an adult. The hope is that this focus will help accelerate learning. The children will then have a morning break. After break this will be repeated with a short Numeracy session followed by independent activities and teacher focused tasks. The children will then go to lunch. After lunch the children will participate in phonics for 20mins. The rest of the afternoon will be spent on other curriculum areas. For example PE and SEAL will be taught as a whole class whereas other areas, which we teach using the International Primary Curriculum, will have short whole class sessions followed by adult focused tasks.
    We know this will have to change in order to further devlop children's independence but we feel that the early focus will really help children get off to a good start.

6. thank you that's very, very helpful... what type of activities will they complete after the teacher directed focus, will they have any particular focus linked to the main teaching session, or will they have a range of activities they have to complete over a week or two week period...what will your literacy and maths plans look like? I really like this structure and can see it working really well, sorry about all the questions!

7. I have example planning from Y1 in my resources and theres also a link in there to a thread where i commented at length on how i organised Y1 [​IMG]

8. We are still at the early stages of this so I expect there will be some trial and error at first and changes along the way!
    After the whole class session, independent groups will have a range of activities and areas to choose from. As in the EYFS, some of this will be child initiated but other activities will be more focused such as specific tasks in the writing area linked to other areas of the curriculum or reading to research and extend learning in the current IPC topic.
    The adult focused group activities would be guided/ shared reading, writing, number work etc. and after this the children would access classroom activities or be given some independent work to complete whilst the teacher works with another group.
    As far as the planning goes, the classroom provision for the different areas of learning will be planned for using the EYFS provision sheet which I use in Reception and the lit and num planning will follow the school's existing format but the tasks and plenary will only have to be planned for the groups working with the teacher/ TA that day.
    Hope this answers some of your questions and thanks for the feedback that you think you could see it working!