1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Organising spellings

Discussion in 'Primary' started by beethan31, Jan 17, 2012.

1. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

Our Head wants us to do 10 spellings everyday with our classes, ideally as a Literacy starter. My problem is how to organise this.
    I have a mixed Y3/4 class and we still do phonics. The children are in sets from Y1 to Y4 and so in my class I have children going off to one of 5 different groups for phonics according to their phonic stage. Obviously each group is working on different phonemes/graphemes and spellings.
    I just can't seem to get my head around how to approach spelling as a whole class. It seems pointless just getting the children to copy down a list of differentiated words into a book without any teaching of spelling patterns or rules. Yet in 10/15 mins at the beginning of a Literacy lesson I won't be able to teach to all of their needs, and they should be getting that teaching within their phonic group. So what do I do at the beginning of a Literacy lesson?? We have early morning time when they could practise differentiated spellings. I'm just wondering whether this would be a better use of time, but there still wouldn't be any actual teaching of spelling.
    I know there is lots of debate about spellings on here - I've already read some of it before posting. I'm just after some advice on the logistics of this - if anyone has any?!
    What would you do?!
    PS I have no TA

2. Because in a mixed ability class that's just not possible.
    By yr 3/4 pupils' spelling abilities begin to vary enormously, with some already making relatively few mistakes, while others still misspell many common words. So if they are to revise/learn 10 words a day, they have to be different for different groups.
    Your weakest spellers had best concentrate on the tricky words among the 300 most used English words, such as 'one, two, eight, any, many, other, you, your, friend'. (I could paste in all of them if they might be useful to u.)
    The better ones might benefit from revising words from the main patterns with lots of exceptions.
    All the exceptions are listed at
    http://englishspellingproblems.blogspot.com/2010/11/english-spelling-rules.html
    (I have listed them in a booklet as well),
    but the majority of spelling errors relate to the five main English spelling difficulties:

Heterographs (there/their, it’s/its, to/two/too)

Irregular consonant doubling (merry – very)
    <font size="3"></font> /ee/ - ( leave, sleeve, believe, even ) long /oo/ - (blue shoe flew through) <o-e> and <-o Also fairly tricky are words with alternative spellings for:
    (bite, tight),

(her turn third)

For older pupils/best spellers the following keep causing problems:

www.EnglishSpellingProblems.co.uk
    has an Overview of the whole English spelling system and separate pages for the main problems.

3. This site always messes up the formating, even if u copy and paste just a little bit.
    The biggest English spelling problems (because of the large numbers of words which they affect) are:

Heterographs (there/their, it&rsquo;s/its, to/two/too)

Irregular consonant doubling (merry &ndash; very)

/ee/ - ( leave, sleeve, believe, even )

long /oo/ - (blue shoe flew through)

<o-e> and <-o> (stole coal bowl &ndash; so slow toe). <font size="3"></font>