1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Organising nursery care

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by grsmit, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Hi, I am pregnant and was just wondering if anyone on here could help me from experience. My husband works a 4 on 4 off shift pattern. Do nurseries allow you to give a shift pattern to show when our baby would need to be in nursery or does it have to be a set pattern of certain days a week? We are just trying to work out what would be best if I have to go back to work full time. I am not sure if a childminder might be more or less flexible with this? We can provide a long term care pattern it just wouldn't be say, every Tuesday, Thursday, Friday for instance. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

2. Hi Congratulations.
    In a word - No!
    Nurseries like to have their charges for the same days each week, it makes filling places easier. Childminders are likely to offer similar but could be more flexible. That said if where you live has lots of shift workers the nursery may have other children who they could match you with, so when your child is in the match isn't - but that's probably too far out thinking. Could you consider a part time nanny? Someone to come and look after your baby on shift days that you're at school?

3. I thought it would be difficult which is why I asked for reduced hours. Nanny is worth considering I hadn't thought of that thank you for your reply, I will look into that next.