1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Organising Literacy Time- NQT Y4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pottyparrot, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I am new to Y4 and obviously first time i'm planning completely from scratch without mentor support. I am trying to work out how to plan my literacy time, i.e. guided reading, spelling and sentence structure.

Obviously every unit says you need to plan for spelling and sentence structure and punctuation. Do most teachers do this as a seperate session every week or just incorporate it in with the rest of their planning?

I was thinking of planning my literacy like this (how does it sound?):

Mon: I have 1 hr and a half so 40minutes on sentence structure/punctuation and then rest on normal work.
    Tues: hour of normal literacy work on lit units.
    Wed: hour of normal literacy work again.
    Thurs: same again.
    Fri: I have two hours so I was going to do there spelling tests I have to do. A 20minute spelling/word level lesson and then all my guided reading. While the other children do comprehension and sentence level work independently.

2. Hi all,
    I am new to Y4 and obviously first time i'm planning completely from scratch without mentor support. I am trying to work out how to plan my literacy time, i.e. guided reading, spelling and sentence structure.

Obviously every unit says you need to plan for spelling and sentence structure and punctuation. Do most teachers do this as a seperate session every week or just incorporate it in with the rest of their planning?

I was thinking of planning my literacy like this (how does it sound?):

Mon: I have 1 hr and a half so 40minutes on sentence structure/punctuation and then rest on normal work.
    Tues: hour of normal literacy work on lit units.
    Wed: hour of normal literacy work again.
    Thurs: same again.
    Fri: I have two hours so I was going to do there spelling tests I have to do. A 20minute spelling/word level lesson and then all my guided reading. While the other children do comprehension and sentence level work independently.

3. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Blimey an hour and a half on a Mon / 2 hours on a Friday is a very long time to do Literacy! What about phonics / support for spelling? That would break it up...

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Two hours of spelling and then GR...really? I think you will find year 4 will behave appallingly because they are so bored and unable to sustain concentration on such activities for so long, especially on a Friday.

Can you do the GR in several shorter slots over the week?

Move thing s about so some of the other lessons 1.25 hours and Friday is shorter?

5. DeeDog

DeeDog New commenter

We have 20 minutes Guided Reading every day, a hour Literacy lesson every day and then two or three times a week a phonics/spelling strategies session.

The children are tested on their spellings once a week by the TA according to the list they are on. My TA last year managed to get the whole class done in one afternoon.

6. I can't move times around due to other lessons that have to take place at a certain time, but I can do what I want within that literacy time. Yeah I was going to do some support for spelling on the friday that is what I meant.
    What about sentence structure and punctuation work. Would you do discrete lessons on this?

7. Why so much time? Blimey! Are you doing enough PE, science, RE, Maths, history, music, Art etc? How can you fit it all in?

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No. A few minutes in every single lesson is better I find.

9. Thanks miniminx, that is what I was a bit worried about because all my placements do it differently. One of my placements they did a quick grammar starter every day, e.g. kung fu punctuation. Is that the kind of thing you mean by few minutes in every session or just incorpoarting into your normal lessons.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Think a bit like an oral mental starter in maths. So 5-15 mins planned time with an objective.