1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Organising a Victorian themed week

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MrsGumpy, Apr 21, 2012.

1. In September/October time our infant school is having a whole school Victorian theme going on for a week, and muggins here is organising it.
    I've been trying to come up with interesting and exciting ways to structure the week that will be really beneficial to the children, wow the parents and local community, but not land my colleagues with a whole pile of extra work.
    Has anyone done this kind of thing before? Any tips?
    I have been thinking about having a mini-theme per day, which either the whole school can follow, or we work on a carousel, such as inventions one day, home life another, school another, transport another, collonialism another as an idea. Another focus that has been suggested to me is to theme each day with a Victorian moral principle. I like this idea as it would give individual class teachers more freedom to do as much or as little as they felt able, but I'm getting stuck thinking of enough principles. I only have charity and courtesy so far!
    I'm also wondering about a dynamic to take us towards an end point. Maybe to have a music hall style entertainment for the parents at the end of the week. Or to stage our own Great Exhibition of some sort.
    I'm fortunate in that I have pretty much free rein with this, but I'm suddenly rather daunted by the ideas part. (the practical organisation is really my forte and I'm already in touch with companies about supplying costumes/trips/visits etc). It's the big picture stuff I'm struggling with.
    Any ideas gratefully received!!!!

2. In September/October time our infant school is having a whole school Victorian theme going on for a week, and muggins here is organising it.
    I've been trying to come up with interesting and exciting ways to structure the week that will be really beneficial to the children, wow the parents and local community, but not land my colleagues with a whole pile of extra work.
    Has anyone done this kind of thing before? Any tips?
    I have been thinking about having a mini-theme per day, which either the whole school can follow, or we work on a carousel, such as inventions one day, home life another, school another, transport another, collonialism another as an idea. Another focus that has been suggested to me is to theme each day with a Victorian moral principle. I like this idea as it would give individual class teachers more freedom to do as much or as little as they felt able, but I'm getting stuck thinking of enough principles. I only have charity and courtesy so far!
    I'm also wondering about a dynamic to take us towards an end point. Maybe to have a music hall style entertainment for the parents at the end of the week. Or to stage our own Great Exhibition of some sort.
    I'm fortunate in that I have pretty much free rein with this, but I'm suddenly rather daunted by the ideas part. (the practical organisation is really my forte and I'm already in touch with companies about supplying costumes/trips/visits etc). It's the big picture stuff I'm struggling with.
    Any ideas gratefully received!!!!

3. I finish my term on the Victorians with a jubilee celebration - topical as it is jubilee year this year! My year 2 children make lemonade, Victoria sandwich cakes, research sandwich fillings (beef dripping, anyone?!) and make sandwiches. We make union jack flags, have parlour games in the hall (blind man's bluff, chinese whispers - loads to find on the internet) The children LOVE it. They come dressed as Victorian children (as do the staff!) and they have Victorian lessons in the morning. The afternoon is the jubilee celebration with the games followed by food, singing the national anthem and waving their flags. I think it would easily transfer to a whole school 'street party' in the playground.
    Good luck!

4. We did a Victorian classroom role-play. I've got a script somewhere if you would like to have a look.

5. Out of the Ark Music have a title called That's What I Call A Class Assembly - The Victorians . Basically it is a class assembly with a mini play, some songs and about 4 pages of cross curricular ideas. You could use it at the end of the week to consolidate all the work that has been done.
    http://www.outoftheark.co.uk/series/class-assembly/the-victorians.html

6. Hi, I am know it has been a long time since you posted this but I am thinking of doing the same. The kitchen staff came to me with an idea of doing a Victorian themed dinner day and I have thought that I would like to extend this to a whole school theme week or even just a day. I wondered how yours went and if you have any helpful advice and ideas?

Many thanks