1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Organiser for ASD pupil

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by rachymac, Mar 5, 2011.

1. I work with a Year 17 pupil with Asperger Syndrome, who has very poor organisational skills. On top of this, he lives in two separate houses for a few days in each at a time and so he finds it difficult to remember what books he should have with him at any given time. We created a colour-coded timetable and a "What to Pack" list for his use, but he managed to lose both of them within a few days. I was thinking of maybe getting hold of an A5 folder with storage pockets in it in which I could put file dividers to separate it into individual days, put his daily timetable and what-to-pack list in the appropriate day (as he finds it difficult to decipher the weekly one when he's stressed and ends up with stuff for the wrong days) and have a section for notes for parents and extra notes for him for particular days (for example, if his class are moving to an ICT room for a class, this could be noted and put in the correct day).

I was just wondering if people have any other ideas related to this, if anyone has tried a similar scheme (and how it worked), and also if anyone knows where to buy an A5 folder with storage pockets (I can find notebooks no problem, but it has to be a folder to be able to open it for the dividers to be included)? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. I work with a Year 17 pupil with Asperger Syndrome, who has very poor organisational skills. On top of this, he lives in two separate houses for a few days in each at a time and so he finds it difficult to remember what books he should have with him at any given time. We created a colour-coded timetable and a "What to Pack" list for his use, but he managed to lose both of them within a few days. I was thinking of maybe getting hold of an A5 folder with storage pockets in it in which I could put file dividers to separate it into individual days, put his daily timetable and what-to-pack list in the appropriate day (as he finds it difficult to decipher the weekly one when he's stressed and ends up with stuff for the wrong days) and have a section for notes for parents and extra notes for him for particular days (for example, if his class are moving to an ICT room for a class, this could be noted and put in the correct day).

I was just wondering if people have any other ideas related to this, if anyone has tried a similar scheme (and how it worked), and also if anyone knows where to buy an A5 folder with storage pockets (I can find notebooks no problem, but it has to be a folder to be able to open it for the dividers to be included)? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

quite a few places do A5 narrow ring binders poly pockets and dividers. Also, given his age think filofax type diary.

4. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

sorry something went wrong and it posted too soon!
    You can use the filofax type diary any way you want. Take out the diary and replace with the time-table, dividers and wallets as he needs.

I'd also get a laminated shedule for his bedroom wall at each house. A coloured sheet for each day with "things to pack" on, he can cross them off with a dry white marker when they are packed.

5. Thanks for the ideas - I think being able to tick stuff off with a dry white marker is definitely an idea that could work for him :)

(Just realised in my first post - he's year 7 - dunno how I managed to post Year 17!)