1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Organisational and time saving tips

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by sannanorth, Nov 9, 2019.

1. sannanorth

sannanorth New commenter

Hi,
    Looking to pass on organisational and time saving tips and hacks to my trainee.
    While I've passed on a few on marking and organising paper work would be great if anybody else had systems or tips that really worked.

I've recently put washi tape on my board so that there are clear sections for her to add in Title, Date, LO and to record homework and behaviour and this has worked a treat.

Thanks all
    Sanna

2. NIHistoryTeacher

NIHistoryTeacher New commenter

3 time rule for info requests by email etc. Ignore first time, they might want it if they ask again, probably actually do want it if they ask a third time.

MissGeorgi likes this.
  3. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Interesting, what do you mean by info request? Any examples?

4. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

Get a decent A4 teacher’s planner and write everything in it. Use it to check off deadlines etc.
    Get as much work done at school and only take, say, one set task home, if possible. Learn to mark a set of books in an hour, when possible. Keep a diary of marking, then you don’t miss off a class (easy to do). Better to take two sets of marking home at the weekend than “endless planning”.

Share resources, use schoology and Tes. Don’t over plan lessons. Re-inforce with zero planning games, memory tests created by pupils, etc.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Good for you, but doesn't this create extra work for somebody who actually needs the information?

strawbs likes this.
  6. NIHistoryTeacher

Much of the information requested on a daily basis is general, non specific or doesn’t apply. This is often shown by the fact that no one ever asks for it a second time. Obviously common sense applies and some things are clearly relevant and need a response ASAP but a lot of the time I’m not sure that’s true. If someone is looking for pointless / irrelevant information for my context or is on a fishing expedition, then I guess it’s better they do the extra work.

Piranha likes this.
  7. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I would be mightily UNimpressed by a trainee who ever followed the advice to ignore emails.

Piranha likes this.
  8. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Emails (and paper messages): set aside specific time to deal with the inbox/in-tray.
    D - Deal immediately anything that takes less than 2 minutes
    D - Delete immediately stuff that's irrelevant or already expired (Mrs Smith has now found her keys, the speed camera has almost certainly moved on by now, someone emailed everyone with "If you teach Sam Jones")
    D - Delegate immediately (few emails that NQTs get will fit this category)
    D - Defer to a planned time so you can deal with more complex or longer messages

9. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

In my inbox this week, I’ve been asked for:
    • Rooming for parents’ evening
    • Information for an SEN student’s review meeting
    • A document to go on the school website
    • Work for an absent student
    • Information for a meeting with a parent
    I don’t see how not responding to any of these requests straight away would be helpful.

10. NIHistoryTeacher

11. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Never complete work early, that just gives the person who set it time to criticise it and tell you they want you to do it again differently

12. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

clearly not a subject that requires use of the whole board!

13. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

In no particular order:

Don't open an email unless you have time to immediately reply to it/action it. Try to clear all unread e mails on a daily bassis.

Extend the display on your computer: that way, when students are watching a video/working from a power point presentation on the projector, you can use your computer to answer e mails, input data, take the register, cue up the next lesson, etc

When scheduling tasks for yourself, mark them urgent, necessary and desirable. Then do one of the desirable tasks, then the necessary ones, then the urgent ones. If you only ever do the urgent things, somethings just never get done.

Complete work early, but then ask somebody else to check it and give you feedback on it before you hand it in.

Write deadlines into your diary at least 2 days before they actually fall. For really important deadlines (e.g. coursework moderation, exam entries) put them in a week before.

If you know somebody you work with is following the 3 time rule for e mails, don't waste you time e mailing them. Go and see them.

Always go and see people. That then allows you to control when you leave; if they come to you, it can sometimes be hard to get them out of your room!

Mark in lessons as much as possible.

Train your students to peer mark accurately. If they say what you would have said, all you need to do is write "I agree" next to it.

Have students stick in the success criteria for tasks into their books. Then all you have to do is highlight in green for WWW and red for EBI when you mark (rather than having to write the same thing over and over again in 30 books).

NIHistoryTeacher likes this.